GBA Logo horizontal Facebook LinkedIn Email Pinterest Twitter X Instagram YouTube Icon Navigation Search Icon Main Search Icon Video Play Icon Plus Icon Minus Icon Picture icon Hamburger Icon Close Icon Sorted

Community and Q&A

Hydrosil heaters

e5qVCsaP46 | Posted in Energy Efficiency and Durability on

As a long time builder (general contractor) building consultant and home inspector (& energy nerd) I love to read Martin Holladay’s Musings of an Energy Nerd.
I just read through his blog post of Sept. 25, 2009 about the 10 most useless energy-related products. I am wondering if there have ever been any studies done on the hydronic baseboard heaters sold by Hydrosil?
http://www.hydrosil.com/
Several years ago, I became “convinced” that their claims made sense (?) and bought 3 units for about $285 each. This is probably about $240 higher cost than a standard electric baseboard of the same size and wattage.
Hydrosil claims that their “silicone” is a phase change material. If it is, my research tells me this is a legitimate energy saver. I still wonder if I was gullible spending 500% more than for common electric baseboards. I am a very good money manager and have been called frugal and even “cheap”. I consider myself quite savvy and educated about this sort of thing, but have fallen for good sales pitches on occasion.
Did I get taken?

Thank you

GBA Prime

Join the leading community of building science experts

Become a GBA Prime member and get instant access to the latest developments in green building, research, and reports from the field.

Replies

1. GBA Editor
    Martin Holladay | | #1

Brent,
    Q. "Did I get taken?"

A. Yes. The heat source is an electric-resistance element, just like an inexpensive electric baseboard unit. Either unit has the same efficiency (100%).

2. e5qVCsaP46 | | #2

Damn!!

3. user-939142 | | #3

why their 'feeling' claims could have some legitimacy, the original source of the heat is generated with an electric resistance element just like a baseboard

it is kind of like those fancy 'amish' fireplaces, which basically have a hair dryer inside them for around $300. my aunt swears the heat is 'different' and 'feels better' and won't listen when i say her modern gas furnace is 10 times cheaper to run

we really want to believe in the 'magic box', just like we root for the underdog ;)

4. Allan_ | | #4

Looks like Hydrosil has become HydroComfort and when you click on the Hydrosil shortcut in the
    Post Asked by Brent Lerwill
    Posted Jun 27, 2011 11:49 AM ET
    You are taken directly to HydroComfort. I wonder if the original company went bankrupt and is now operating under a new name??? If so, then now I know how "Governor Pat McCrory believes it is important for government to have a culture of customer service and work together with you to help you solve problems". So call his number, it's online.

5. Chaubenee | | #5

The oil companies assassinated the guy who invented the carburetor that ran on diluted chocolate syrup, too. Back in the seventies!

6. cnolan83 | | #6

I actually have had fabulous luck with my hyro-sil heaters. Had them for 15 years. They're efficient and have been long lasting.

1. Expert Member
      Michael Maines | | #7

Electric resistance heaters usually last a long time because they're mechanically as simple as products get. Physics says they can't be any more efficient than other forms of electric resistance heat, with up to but no more than 100% of the energy consumed converted to heat.

Community

Recent Questions and Replies

• |
  • |
  • |
  • |