GBA Logo horizontal Facebook LinkedIn Email Pinterest Twitter X Instagram YouTube Icon Navigation Search Icon Main Search Icon Video Play Icon Plus Icon Minus Icon Picture icon Hamburger Icon Close Icon Sorted

Community and Q&A

Pony walls in a conditioned crawl

e2BhHeMrFZ | Posted in Energy Efficiency and Durability on

I am located in 4a climate zone. What is the preffered way to insulate a pony wall in a conditioned/closed crawl? We are using thermax on the masonry section, batts in the rim, but would like to know what the best way to do the pony wall would be? I saw where one builder used radiant barrier??

GBA Prime

Join the leading community of building science experts

Become a GBA Prime member and get instant access to the latest developments in green building, research, and reports from the field.

Replies

1. GBA Editor
    Martin Holladay | | #1

Todd,
    You're asking for the BEST details, not the cheapest.

First of all, fiberglass batts should never be used to insulate a rim joist. Because fiberglass batts are air-permeable, they allow the moist crawlspace air to contact the cold rim joist. As a result, the rim joist accumulates moisture all winter long, until it rots. Building inspectors see these rotten rim joists all the time.

Rim joists should be insulated with either closed-cell spray polyurethane foam or rigid foam. If you use little rectangles of rigid foam, be sure to seal the perimeter of each rectangle with caulk or canned foam.

Because the pony wall faces a potentially damp environment, I would advise that fiberglass batts shouldn't be used there either. My advice is the same -- closed-cell spray polyurethane foam or rigid foam are your only options.

2. e2BhHeMrFZ | | #2

Thanks Martin. I should add one thing that more specific than the climate zone I am in central NC and termites are a real concern. Do you have any concerns or counter measures using either of these techniques with regard to performing routine termite inspections?

3. GBA Editor
    Martin Holladay | | #3

Todd,
    Termite issues complicate the use of rigid foam. Because local practices and codes vary widely, you should contact your local building code official to determine how you can insulate these areas while still complying with local codes and practices.

Community

Recent Questions and Replies

• |
  • |
  • |
  • |