GBA Logo horizontal Facebook LinkedIn Email Pinterest Twitter X Instagram YouTube Icon Navigation Search Icon Main Search Icon Video Play Icon Plus Icon Minus Icon Picture icon Hamburger Icon Close Icon Sorted

Community and Q&A

Drawing 9-00800; Catherdral ceiling retrofit

WEG | Posted in Energy Efficiency and Durability on

This drawing shows a gap between the old sheathing and the old insulation, just where a Proper-Vent would be. It would be better to insulate “gap” if possible. Right?

I have a cathedral ceiling job that has no insulation in it — 2×6 joists. I want to fill the empty joist bays with cellulose, then strip the old roof, install two layers of iso, then plywood, Ice & Water barrier, then shingles.

Should I add a sleeper under the final sheathing to create a vent space?

(Zone 5, Connecticut.)

GBA Prime

Join the leading community of building science experts

Become a GBA Prime member and get instant access to the latest developments in green building, research, and reports from the field.

Replies

1. GBA Editor
    Martin Holladay | | #1

Walter,
    First of all, I'll post a link to the detail under discussion, so that other GBA readers know what you are talking about. Here is the link:
    https://www.greenbuildingadvisor.com/system/files/sites/default/files/GBA_INDIVIDUAL_PDF_FILES/GBA_PDF_Series-9/9-00800.pdf

The reason that the detail drawing shows a gap between the old fiberglass batt and the roof sheathing is that this drawing shows a retrofit job. The drawing assumes that the gap is a pre-existing ventilation channel. When additional rigid insulation is installed on top of the roof sheathing, the bottom and top of the existing ventilation channels need to be carefully air-sealed with rigid foam panels and spray foam, as shown in the drawing.

In your case, if you have existing 2x6 rafters without any insulation, it's possible to fill the entire 5.5-inch-thick rafter space with cellulose -- as long as you also include plenty of rigid foam on top of the roof sheathing, as you describe.

Your final question is unclear. If I understand your question correctly, you wonder whether it makes any sense to include ventilation channels above the rigid foam. If you can afford to do so, that would be a Cadillac job. From the bottom up: gypsum drywall, cellulose-filled rafter bays, existing roof sheathing, two layers of polyisocyanurate with staggered seams, new plywood sheathing, 2x4 sleepers installed from eave to ridge to create vent channels, another layer of plywood, and then asphalt felt and shingles.

2. WEG | | #2

Thanks Martin. Is there a way to eliminate the plywood over the foam in the Cadillac scenario? Gypsum, cellulose, existing plywood, two layers iso, sleepers, plywood, felt, shingles. Thanks

3. GBA Editor
    Martin Holladay | | #3

Walter,
    Yes. I should have pointed that out. You're right.

Community

Recent Questions and Replies

• |
  • |
  • |
  • |