GBA Logo horizontal Facebook LinkedIn Email Pinterest Twitter X Instagram YouTube Icon Navigation Search Icon Main Search Icon Video Play Icon Plus Icon Minus Icon Picture icon Hamburger Icon Close Icon Sorted

Community and Q&A

Heating & Cooling Systems

auYWr29hu7 | Posted in Energy Efficiency and Durability on

In the next couple of years we are going to build a house in a town near Montgomery, Alabama. Since I have been gone from that area for over thirty years things have changed. We live in the north now and we have hot water baseboard heat. We love it. But the south, I think they use heat pumps. Which would be the best. Air or geo.

GBA Prime

Join the leading community of building science experts

Become a GBA Prime member and get instant access to the latest developments in green building, research, and reports from the field.

Replies

1. GBA Editor
    Martin Holladay | | #1

William,
    An air-source heat pump will cost considerably less than a ground-source heat pump.

The best air-source heat pumps are ductless minisplit units manufactured in Asia. (Daikin, Mitsubishi, Fujitsu, etc.) They are almost as efficient as a ground-source heat pump, and they are definitely more efficient than a poorly commissioned ground-source heat pump.

Spend as little as possible on your heating and cooling system, and as much as you can afford to be sure your house has a tight, very well insulated envelope with better-than-average windows.

2. auYWr29hu7 | | #2

In one of you articles about spraying foam on the rafters but if possible I would rather use lose insulation. I would like to run the duct work in the crawl space. Is there any way to be sure the duct work is seal correctly. I know the reason you spray the foam is to make the attic a conditioned area. Can you do that with the crawl space,too?

3. GBA Editor
    Martin Holladay | | #3

William,
    Here is information on creating a sealed crawlspace: Building an Unvented Crawl Space

Here is information on sealing ducts: Sealing Ducts: What’s Better, Tape or Mastic?

Here is information on testing ducts for air tightness: Duct Leakage Testing

4. auYWr29hu7 | | #4

I am going to look up your suggestions. I am on a new learning curve. I want our furture house to be built right.

5. auYWr29hu7 | | #5

We have an addition in our present house which has a crawl space and they put that concrete over the floor. I just thought it was something standard that they do in the north. I just never seen it done in the south. I would have it done if possible. So there's no problem with spraying foam in the crawl space and make a conditioned space like the attic. And using regular insulation in the attic.

Community

Recent Questions and Replies

• |
  • |
  • |
  • |