Insulating window treatments?

Back in the 70s insulating window treatments were a big thing, nowadays I don't hear much. If convection and condensation can be overcome isn't this an area where there is a really good bang for the energy saving buck? Anyone have any links, advice?

Asked by william goodwin
Posted Dec 10, 2011 8:10 AM ET
Edited Dec 10, 2011 4:58 PM ET

1.
Answered by Aaron Vander Meulen
Posted Dec 10, 2011 4:50 PM ET

2.
Posted Dec 10, 2011 4:51 PM ET

3.

"isn't this an area where there is a really good bang for the energy saving buck?"

The answer to this is clearly no, if we're looking at whole house energy performance. However, selective use of heavy drapes can certainly improve comfort conditions in living rooms at night. Just as a radiant heat source warms people directly without needing to raise air temperature, large areas of window glass will act as negative radiators, sucking the heat out of nearby humans even when the overall room temperature is adequate. If your furniture layout is such that you are sitting near a large window on a cold night, closing the drapes will help. Just remember to pull them back when you go to bed - counterintuitive, I know - to avoid the condensation and convective effects.

Answered by James Morgan
Posted Dec 11, 2011 9:17 AM ET

4.

At one point I was also interested in energy efficient blinds. I read online that all types of blinds can be energy saving, but I had my doubts about it. Then I found a product that I have never heard about before. Blinds for double glazed windows. Here is a description of the qualities of these blinds: The blinds fit directly onto the double glazed window without drilling or screwing into the widow frame. This unique blind system enables the blinds to move with the windows or doors when opening and closing, the blind fits into a frame which is attached to the window with brackets which slide between the glass and the rubber glazing bead. The Perfect fit frame fits flush up against the window so there are no gaps down the sides of the blind. This gives greater privacy and also can save on heating bills by retaining heat in winter. Because the blinds sit in the gap between the glass and the window frame as well as being extremely neat they don’t take up any space up on your window sill or have any unsightly cords or controls making it the ideal child safety product. It does mention heat retaining inside and it all sounds great, but a bit over an average budget. What do you think, could this be the ultimate solution?

Answered by Mee Gan
Posted Jan 13, 2014 7:42 AM ET

Detailing a Chimney

In Energy efficiency and durability | Asked by Kevin Spellman | Nov 21, 17

Which gas furnaces are most efficient in their use of electricity?

In Energy efficiency and durability | Asked by rich cowen | Nov 16, 17

What is a minisplit’s lifespan?

In Mechanicals | Asked by Timothy Godshall | Nov 20, 17

Best way to insulate attic

In Energy efficiency and durability | Asked by craziekeiichi | Nov 13, 17

Attic fan for ventilation in winter?

In Energy efficiency and durability | Asked by Feiks | Nov 20, 17