Why does my GU24 CFL lamp flicker slightly when the fixture is off?

I replaced an incandescent light fixture with a CFL fixture that uses a GU24 lamp. This is a hallway fixture so it's controlled by two separate switches (3-way) that are backlit when off.

Everything works as expected, but I noticed that CFL lamp flickers slightly after the fixture has been turned off.

Is this typical or have I wired something wrong? Any advice is greatly appreciated!

Asked by Trung Phung
Posted Dec 24, 2011 12:17 AM ET
Edited Dec 24, 2011 5:34 AM ET

It may be that the trickle of current used by the switches for backlighting is enough to cause the flicker you are seeing.

Posted Dec 24, 2011 12:10 PM ET

thanks david!
that's what i thought it might be and was considering buying non-backlit switches to test the theory. just wondering if the flickering is going to effect the lifespan of the bulb.

Answered by Trung Phung
Posted Dec 24, 2011 12:36 PM ET

Switch, not dimmer, correct? CFLs don't like dimmers unless they are special and have a dimming ballast. I'd get that fixed as the ballast surely won't like that trickle current and neither will the bulb itself. Turning fluorescent bulbs on and off is what diminishes their life more than actual "run time".

Answered by John Pfeiffer
Posted Dec 24, 2011 3:55 PM ET

SIP walls insulating the floor joists

In Energy efficiency and durability | Asked by Brian W | Nov 28, 15

To vent or not to vent?

In General questions | Asked by Eric | Nov 28, 15

Insulating a non vented vaulted ceiling in Canada

In Green building techniques | Asked by Kirsten Quist | Nov 28, 15

Locating manifold of a radiant floor heating system

In Mechanicals | Asked by Carroll Ayer | Nov 28, 15

Can PEX pipe be reused after a fitting is removed?

In GBA Pro help | Asked by K C | Nov 27, 15