Why does my GU24 CFL lamp flicker slightly when the fixture is off?

I replaced an incandescent light fixture with a CFL fixture that uses a GU24 lamp. This is a hallway fixture so it's controlled by two separate switches (3-way) that are backlit when off.

Everything works as expected, but I noticed that CFL lamp flickers slightly after the fixture has been turned off.

Is this typical or have I wired something wrong? Any advice is greatly appreciated!

Asked by Trung Phung
Posted Dec 24, 2011 12:17 AM ET
Edited Dec 24, 2011 5:34 AM ET

1.

It may be that the trickle of current used by the switches for backlighting is enough to cause the flicker you are seeing.

Posted Dec 24, 2011 12:10 PM ET

2.

thanks david!
that's what i thought it might be and was considering buying non-backlit switches to test the theory. just wondering if the flickering is going to effect the lifespan of the bulb.
thanks

Answered by Trung Phung
Posted Dec 24, 2011 12:36 PM ET

3.

Switch, not dimmer, correct? CFLs don't like dimmers unless they are special and have a dimming ballast. I'd get that fixed as the ballast surely won't like that trickle current and neither will the bulb itself. Turning fluorescent bulbs on and off is what diminishes their life more than actual "run time".

Answered by John Pfeiffer
Posted Dec 24, 2011 3:55 PM ET

Could you moderate first posts to stop the flood of spam?

In General questions | Asked by John Ranson | Jan 19, 17

How To be able to Watch March Madness Survive Online At Work (Even In case Your Boss Doesn't Need

In Green building techniques | Asked by Concepcion Binion | Jan 20, 17

Iphone Problems How To Fix An iphone Black Screen Fault Easily

In Green building techniques | Asked by Maxie Broun | Jan 20, 17

Why Reformat And Add Ing Normal Micro SD Credit cards Won't Work AND MUCH MORE

In Green building techniques | Asked by Libby Folse | Jan 20, 17

Northern Michigan un vented, un air conditioned Cabin roof design

In GBA Pro help | Asked by mike bard | Jan 20, 17