Why does my GU24 CFL lamp flicker slightly when the fixture is off?

I replaced an incandescent light fixture with a CFL fixture that uses a GU24 lamp. This is a hallway fixture so it's controlled by two separate switches (3-way) that are backlit when off.

Everything works as expected, but I noticed that CFL lamp flickers slightly after the fixture has been turned off.

Is this typical or have I wired something wrong? Any advice is greatly appreciated!

Asked by Trung Phung
Posted Dec 24, 2011 1:17 AM ET
Edited Dec 24, 2011 6:34 AM ET

1.

It may be that the trickle of current used by the switches for backlighting is enough to cause the flicker you are seeing.

Posted Dec 24, 2011 1:10 PM ET

2.

thanks david!
that's what i thought it might be and was considering buying non-backlit switches to test the theory. just wondering if the flickering is going to effect the lifespan of the bulb.
thanks

Answered by Trung Phung
Posted Dec 24, 2011 1:36 PM ET

3.

Switch, not dimmer, correct? CFLs don't like dimmers unless they are special and have a dimming ballast. I'd get that fixed as the ballast surely won't like that trickle current and neither will the bulb itself. Turning fluorescent bulbs on and off is what diminishes their life more than actual "run time".

Answered by John Pfeiffer
Posted Dec 24, 2011 4:55 PM ET

New Unvented Attic and High Humidity

In General questions | Asked by Nick Schuler | Jun 30, 15

ZIP R-Sheathing Climate Zone 5?

In GBA Pro help | Asked by Joseph Yount | May 12, 15

Fiberglass insulation and spray foam around windows.

In General questions | Asked by tim gabriel | Jul 5, 15

Loose-fill cellulose in a small attic

In Green building techniques | Asked by Jeff Cooper | Jul 4, 15

ERV exhaust up a chimney

In Mechanicals | Asked by Fred Richards | Jul 4, 15