GBA Logo horizontal Facebook LinkedIn Email Pinterest Twitter X Instagram YouTube Icon Navigation Search Icon Main Search Icon Video Play Icon Plus Icon Minus Icon Picture icon Hamburger Icon Close Icon Sorted

Community and Q&A

How durable is silicone as the sole air tight gasket and adhesive for timber stud frame connections?

ThXzr7FgXL | Posted in Energy Efficiency and Durability on

A supplier here in Ireland advocates the use of timber-framed walls using timber studs and insulation between 2 layers of plywood WITHOUT using any tapes or other adhesives to air seal the junctions..

The large prefabricated frames consist of plywood as the air barrier and silicone is used as the air gasket / adhesive squeezed between studs and plywood.

I have misgivings but is silicone used this way a durable and effective alternative to traditional fixing methods with tape at plywood junctions?

GBA Prime

Join the leading community of building science experts

Become a GBA Prime member and get instant access to the latest developments in green building, research, and reports from the field.

Replies

1. homedesign | | #1

"One Word"....GASKETS

I think there is a future in "gasket concepts"
    I can't say if silicone is durable enough
    EPDM or similar should be better

2. jklingel | | #2

John B: Are you talking about these? http://www.conservationtechnology.com/building_gaskets.html They look good, but I'd like to know if anyone used them 25 yrs ago and knows how they held up. Still flexible, resilient, etc? One/stud will be time consuming, but it's a "do once" job.

3. homedesign | | #3

John K., I am not talking about a particular product....
    I have read that EPDM is considered to be very durable...
    I think one of the sources was Martin quoting Ted Benson

4. albertrooks | | #4

I'd suggest Tremco Acoustical Sealant as more durable than silicone since it doesn't harden.

However, if they already use Silicone on the face of ALL framing members, it's probably a pretty darn good airseal.

5. jklingel | | #5

John B: thanks.

Community

Recent Questions and Replies

• |
  • |
  • |
  • |