GBA Logo horizontal Facebook LinkedIn Email Pinterest Twitter X Instagram YouTube Icon Navigation Search Icon Main Search Icon Video Play Icon Plus Icon Minus Icon Picture icon Hamburger Icon Close Icon Sorted

Community and Q&A

Does moisture get trapped in the roof insulation?

cbedgar | Posted in Energy Efficiency and Durability on

I read the building science insight “Leiningen Versus The Ants Redux” by Joseph W. Lstiburek with great interest. I plan to build a workshop in upstate NY (zone 5+) using a similar approach. This seems very similar to the PERSIST method discussed in Martin Holladay’s article “Getting Insulation Out of Your Walls and Ceilings”.

But the details are tricky, as Joe learned with his barn. In Figure 1, Joe shows fully adhered membrane on top of the under-roof sheathing, on top of the roof insulation, and on top of the over-roof sheathing.

Won’t moisture be trapped between the layers of membrane? Especially in the roof insulation which seems to be completely covered with fully adhered membrane?

http://www.buildingscience.com/documents/insights/bsi-056-leiningen-versus-the-ants-redux/
https://www.greenbuildingadvisor.com/blogs/dept/musings/getting-insulation-out-your-walls-and-ceilings

GBA Prime

Join the leading community of building science experts

Become a GBA Prime member and get instant access to the latest developments in green building, research, and reports from the field.

Replies

1. GBA Editor
    Martin Holladay | | #1

Clement,
    I don't like Joe's decision to install a second layer of peel-and-stick membrane on top of the roof insulation. I would have used a vapor-permeable waterproof membrane instead -- maybe good old asphalt felt, or maybe one of those high-tech membranes from Europe if I made as much money as Joe.

One problem is construction moisture -- dew and rain that gets into those foam layers while the roofers are installing the sandwich.

Community

Recent Questions and Replies

• |
  • |
  • |
  • |