GBA Logo horizontal Facebook LinkedIn Email Pinterest Twitter X Instagram YouTube Icon Navigation Search Icon Main Search Icon Video Play Icon Plus Icon Minus Icon Picture icon Hamburger Icon Close Icon Sorted

Community and Q&A

HRV Inlet Duct

pNJRiLZxNH | Posted in Energy Efficiency and Durability on

Hello,

I’m finishing my basement and discovered the HRV inlet duct insulation is damp at the bottom portion of the 90 deg inlet (pic attached).

Is there a better way to insulate this duct? During cold snaps here in the Pac Northwest, the rigid duct condensates, so last year, I wrapped it with insulation.

thank you

GBA Prime

Join the leading community of building science experts

Become a GBA Prime member and get instant access to the latest developments in green building, research, and reports from the field.

Replies

1. GBA Editor
    Martin Holladay | | #1

Frank,
    The duct in question is bringing cold outdoor air into your house, and moisture in your warm interior air is condensing on the outside of the duct.

If your current level of insulation isn't working, the solution is to install better insulation. I would remove the existing insulation and throw it away. Install at least two inches of new insulation -- more is better -- and wrap the insulation in a vapor barrier sealed with foil tape.

This insulation is homeowner quality -- but at least it's foam, not fiberglass. You would probably need several layers:
    http://www.homedepot.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?productId=100028603&storeId=10051&langId=-1&catalogId=10053&ci_src=14110944&ci_sku=100028603&cm_mmc=shopping-_-googlebase-_-D26X-_-100028603

This stuff is industrial quality -- but it seems to be sold in big rolls:
    http://www.globalindustrial.com/p/tools/pipe-tube-bending-cutting/pipe-and-tubing-insulation/insul-sheet-roll-s2s-2-r84815?utm_source=google_pr&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=Pipe-Insulation-google_pr&infoParam.campaignId=T9F

2. pNJRiLZxNH | | #2

Thanks Martin.
    I pulled off the insulation and it's saturated. Going fwd, I doubt I'll be able to get a good seal using the products you mention because of the 2 90's and location. How about remove and replace with insulated flex duct? The run is less than 10'

3. GBA Editor
    Martin Holladay | | #3

Frank,
    Your solution will work. If possible, use flex duct with R-8 insulation.

Community

Recent Questions and Replies

• |
  • |
  • |
  • |