GBA Logo horizontal Facebook LinkedIn Email Pinterest Twitter Instagram YouTube Icon Navigation Search Icon Main Search Icon Video Play Icon Plus Icon Minus Icon Picture icon Hamburger Icon Close Icon Sorted

Community and Q&A

Efficient HVAC for small apartment

user-1088476 | Posted in Energy Efficiency and Durability on

I have a 500 sq ft garage apt with 20+ year old central electric heat and AC that I want to upgrade to a more efficient system. Since it has two rooms and ductwork, I’m thinking a mini-split is not the best option. I now have natural gas and could put in a 95% efficient gas heater (more efficient than electric heat of any kind I think). A 1 ton AC unit seems like a good option for cooling but I can’t find one, only a single stage 1.5 ton unit which is overkill. My nephew is an HVAC installer in Texas and he has recommended a 2 stage 2 ton unit that will act as 1.25 ton in lower stage. Is this the best we can do? I live in Baton Rouge, Louisiana in a very moderate climate. Thanks for suggestions!

GBA Prime

Join the leading community of building science experts

Become a GBA Prime member and get instant access to the latest developments in green building, research, and reports from the field.

Replies

1. wjrobinson | | #1

If you have natural gas sounds like a good plan. If you have low electric rates, a mini split would work well too.

2. GBA Editor
    Martin Holladay | | #2

Dorothy,
    One option is a ducted minisplit.

3. user-659915 | | #3

If efficiency is your goal and a/c is the major load a minisplit is definitely the way to go, either ducted as Martin suggests or with a low-wattage circulating fan installed in a stud cavity between the two rooms. A 2-ton unit even on low load setting is way overkill.

4. user-1088476 | | #4

Thanks for advice on nixing the 2 ton AC. Can you provide me with some information on how you attach a mini-split to ductwork. I haven't seen that application.

5. GBA Editor
    Martin Holladay | | #5

Dorothy,
    Here is one brand of ducted minisplit:
    http://mitsubishi-minisplit.com/mini-split-concealed-duct-systems/

6. user-1088476 | | #6

Thanks so much Martin and others! After talking to products rep it sounds like ducted minisplit will work best for my situation. I will probably end up taking all old ductwork out and putting in 2 new short ones which will also reduce loss in many feet of ducts I have now. Rep is going to call me back with the appropriate unit size for my place. I've been struggling with this for 2 years so I'm thrilled to find this resource for "green" information.

Community

Recent Questions and Replies

• |
  • |
  • |
  • |