GBA Logo horizontal Facebook LinkedIn Email Pinterest Twitter X Instagram YouTube Icon Navigation Search Icon Main Search Icon Video Play Icon Plus Icon Minus Icon Picture icon Hamburger Icon Close Icon Sorted

Community and Q&A

Minimum requirement for roofing nails sticking through sheathing?

LoudMouth | Posted in Energy Efficiency and Durability on

Looking at a 2005 tile roof installation manual, it looks like the minimum penetration of a roofing nail into roof sheathing was 3/4″. So If I assume 1/2″ OSB sheathing, I should be able to cut the nails off with 1/4″ still sticking through the sheathing into the attic. Is this correct, or am I missing something?

Dave

GBA Prime

Join the leading community of building science experts

Become a GBA Prime member and get instant access to the latest developments in green building, research, and reports from the field.

Replies

1. Expert Member
    ARMANDO COBO | | #1

I’m sure your roofing manufacturer would have available downloads of their installation manuals. As I read a CertainTeed shingle installation manual (chapter 8), does not mention a word on cutting off any nails.
    "Nail shanks must be long enough to penetrate the roofing and then go ¾” into solid wood, plywood or non-veneer wood decking, or through the thickness of the decking, whichever is less.”

2. GBA Editor
    Martin Holladay | | #2

David,
    I disagree with your interpretation. Every time I read a requirement that says that 3/4 inch is "the minimum penetration of a roofing nail into roof sheathing," I interpret that to mean that the nail needs roof sheathing that is at least 3/4 inch thick, and that the nail must stick out the back side of the sheathing at least a tiny little bit.

So, I think you need 3/4 inch plywood or solid board roof sheathing.

3. user-741168 | | #3

Some time ago (a hundred years?) roofing nails did not penetrate the deck. Thicker decks and shorter nails. I remember the difficulty twirling those 1" roofing nails. This had two benefits: 1) a neater looking attic, and 2) no condensing or frosting points. The downside, I think, is that the shrink-swell process in wood that "walks" the nail out of the deck can happen more easily.

I've had historic jobs where I requested clipping the protruding nails with a bolt cutter.

4. LoudMouth | | #4

Just for clarification: The roof is done, and the 1/2" OSB assumption was a worst case. If the sheathing is actually 3/4", then I should be able to cut the nails off flush per the specification. The question was whether any cutting of the nails would cause a problem as long as I complied with the 3/4" in the original specification.

5. GBA Editor
    Martin Holladay | | #5

David,
    I'm confused. If the roof is done, you should be able to answer the question of whether the building has 1/2-inch roof sheathing or 3/4-inch roof sheathing.

6. LoudMouth | | #6

The question is whether cutting the nails will be a problem as long as I leave >=3/4" penetration after doing so.

7. Expert Member
    ARMANDO COBO | | #7

David,
    “When fasteners do not penetrate the deck at least 3/4” or all the way through thinner panels, the likelihood of nails backing out, or coming loose, is very high” Minimum nailing base should be 3/8” plywood or 7/16” OSB… If you are worried about condensation on the nails, then you should install a double-decker with rigid foam in the middle.
    What does your shingle manufacturer’s installation instructions say? What shingles are you installing?

8. GBA Editor
    Martin Holladay | | #8

Armando,
    If the manual calls for a "minimum penetration of a roofing nail into roof sheathing" of 3/4 inch, why do you write that "Minimum nailing base should be 3/8” plywood"?

9. Expert Member
    ARMANDO COBO | | #9

Martin,
    If you are using roof sheathing that is 3/4" or thicker, then the nail must penetrate 3/4" min. into the sheathing. If you are using an approved roof sheathing that is less than 3/4", like 7/16 OSB or 3/8" plywood, then the nail must go all the way through. They do specify the shank to be 11-12 gauge, the head diameter to be st least 3/8”, but no specs on how long the shaft needs to be after passes through a 7/16” or 3/8” sheathing.
    I do think it can be confusing the way their installation manual is written. I've contacted CertainTeed tech support and asked if they could answer this thread, hopefully they do.

Community

Recent Questions and Replies

• |
  • |
  • |
  • |