How can I seal DensGlass (exterior drywall)?

I am using DensGlass on the exterior of my home (urban infill lot with zero clearance). I will be wrapping the exterior with Tyvek. I am thinking of sealing the joints of the DensGlass also. Is this overkill? What should I use to seal the DensGlass?

Asked by Charles Eichenlaub
Edited Thu, 05/24/2012 - 07:45

1.

I'm sure you are aware DenseGlass is typically a commercially used product. You need to go to GP DenseGlass webpage and download all the documents pertaining warranty and installation when applied as moisture and/or air barrier, and depending on the cladding you are using. Also, it is not a structural sheathing, so you must install bracing according to the IRC.

Answered by Armando Cobo

2.

Charles,
Here is the document you are looking for: Technical Guide: DensGlass sheathing.

Check the section titled "Air- and Water-Resistive Barriers." The guide notes:

"In areas that do not prescribe to current code requirements but still require long-term joint protection, either of the following two methods may be specified in lieu of an air- and water-resistive barrier system: Method 1) Apply minimum 3/8” (9 mm) bead of sealant to joints and trowel to provide a layer approximately 2” (51 mm) wide by 1/16” (2 mm) thick spanning the joint. Use backer rod for openings larger than 1/8” (3 mm). Method 2) Apply glass mesh joint tape to all joints, overlapping at intersections by the width of the tape. Apply approximately 3/8” (9 mm) bead of caulk along the joint. Embed the caulk into the entire surface of the tape with a trowel. Use backer rod for openings larger than 1/8” (3 mm). Follow manufacturer’s installation recommendations for use with DensGlass Sheathing, and design authority specifications. A variety of caulk and polymer-based “fill” materials may be specified, including GE, Dow Corning, Tremco, Sto, Dryvit, BASF and Proseco. Please contact the caulk manufacturer for its recommended caulks over DensGlass Sheathing."

Insulation design

In GBA Pro help | Asked by Robert Brown | Oct 17, 14

Curbless shower with a PVC liner -- how to terminate the liner at the floor?

In General questions | Asked by john walls | Oct 19, 14

Rising power plant energy cost

In Energy efficiency and durability | Asked by Terry Lee | Oct 15, 14

Enclosed room on slab

In Energy efficiency and durability | Asked by Jason Schatz | Oct 16, 14

An outside, completely isolated, balcony column structure

In General questions | Asked by peter mare | Oct 20, 14