How can I seal DensGlass (exterior drywall)?

I am using DensGlass on the exterior of my home (urban infill lot with zero clearance). I will be wrapping the exterior with Tyvek. I am thinking of sealing the joints of the DensGlass also. Is this overkill? What should I use to seal the DensGlass?

Asked by Charles Eichenlaub
Edited Thu, 05/24/2012 - 06:45

1.

I'm sure you are aware DenseGlass is typically a commercially used product. You need to go to GP DenseGlass webpage and download all the documents pertaining warranty and installation when applied as moisture and/or air barrier, and depending on the cladding you are using. Also, it is not a structural sheathing, so you must install bracing according to the IRC.

Answered by Armando Cobo

2.

Charles,
Here is the document you are looking for: Technical Guide: DensGlass sheathing.

Check the section titled "Air- and Water-Resistive Barriers." The guide notes:

"In areas that do not prescribe to current code requirements but still require long-term joint protection, either of the following two methods may be specified in lieu of an air- and water-resistive barrier system: Method 1) Apply minimum 3/8” (9 mm) bead of sealant to joints and trowel to provide a layer approximately 2” (51 mm) wide by 1/16” (2 mm) thick spanning the joint. Use backer rod for openings larger than 1/8” (3 mm). Method 2) Apply glass mesh joint tape to all joints, overlapping at intersections by the width of the tape. Apply approximately 3/8” (9 mm) bead of caulk along the joint. Embed the caulk into the entire surface of the tape with a trowel. Use backer rod for openings larger than 1/8” (3 mm). Follow manufacturer’s installation recommendations for use with DensGlass Sheathing, and design authority specifications. A variety of caulk and polymer-based “fill” materials may be specified, including GE, Dow Corning, Tremco, Sto, Dryvit, BASF and Proseco. Please contact the caulk manufacturer for its recommended caulks over DensGlass Sheathing."

Seeking an air-to-water heat pump

In Mechanicals | Asked by Allison Ashcroft | Jul 28, 09

Does radiant heat recycle water

In Green building techniques | Asked by Celina Jones | Nov 22, 14

Help with Green Addition and hyrdonic heat demo

In Green building techniques | Asked by Michael McArdle | Nov 23, 14

Proper wall to attach rigid foam to the inside of the wall?

In Green building techniques | Asked by Ryan Griffin | Nov 17, 14

Detail for stone veneer

In Green building techniques | Asked by Robert Holland | Nov 16, 14