GBA Logo horizontal Facebook LinkedIn Email Pinterest Twitter Instagram YouTube Icon Navigation Search Icon Main Search Icon Video Play Icon Plus Icon Minus Icon Picture icon Hamburger Icon Close Icon Sorted

Community and Q&A

Proper Cathedral Ceiling Insulation Retrofit with Dense Pack Cellulose

3YxqgD456A | Posted in Energy Efficiency and Durability on

I live in Central VT, the house has a cathedral ceiling, 2×10 rafters, 16″ OC, that are currently insulated with R-19 paper faced fiberglass, then plastic vapor barrier and drywall with no boxed off vent channel. There are soffit and ridge vents. My thoughts on a the best cost effective system are as follows:
1) Remove drywall and old insulation
2) Bring down cathedral ceiling by capping it at 8′ or 9′ with new collar ties
2) Construct 1 or 1.5″ air channel with thin panel board, or not, is this needed?
3) Install thick foil faced polyiso foam board over joists with strapping to hold in place, leaving gaps periodically to dense pack cellulose behind the foam board. After dense pack foil faced foam gets patched and taped seams.
4) Area above now flat ceiling portion of cathedral would just get loose fill with proper vent baffles maintained, also polyiso with strapping below.
4) Drywall over strapping

Other ideas that seem more expensive are adding proper air channels above roof, which also needs to be replaced, with 2×4 sleepers laid on side with new sheathing on top, then same as suggested above.

Any suggestions on this would be most helpful, thanks!

GBA Prime

Join the leading community of building science experts

Become a GBA Prime member and get instant access to the latest developments in green building, research, and reports from the field.

Replies

1. GBA Editor
    Martin Holladay | | #1

Andreas,
    Q. "I plan to construct 1 or 1.5-inch air channels with thin panel board -- or not -- is this needed?"

A. If you are planning to insulate with cellulose, the ventilation channels are needed.

For more information, see How to Build an Insulated Cathedral Ceiling.

Community

Recent Questions and Replies

• |
  • |
  • |
  • |