GBA Logo horizontal Facebook LinkedIn Email Pinterest Twitter X Instagram YouTube Icon Navigation Search Icon Main Search Icon Video Play Icon Plus Icon Minus Icon Picture icon Hamburger Icon Close Icon Sorted

Community and Q&A

Should I caulk the bottom of vertical cedar siding?

jvm | Posted in Energy Efficiency and Durability on

A contratoor who replaced some wood pecker damaged vertical cedar siding boards recommended that I caulk at the bottom of the lowest boards as a way to lessen air inflitration into my home. House was built in 1987 and has Celotex sheathing on the outside of the stud walls with the cedar siding over that. I think that caulking as he recommends will only trap water behind the siding that can get in where the boards overlap.

GBA Prime

Join the leading community of building science experts

Become a GBA Prime member and get instant access to the latest developments in green building, research, and reports from the field.

Replies

1. CramerSilkworth | | #1

As someone who just fixed cedar clapboard (horizontal) that had peeling paint all over and rot in one corner due to water trapped behind it (so we converted it to a back-vented rainscreen), I wouldn't caulk it. Siding isn't supposed to be the air barrier, only bulk water management (aka rain). It should have the ability to let minor leaks dry out.

2. GBA Editor
    Martin Holladay | | #2

James,
    I agree with Cramer. While you can establish an air barrier at the sheathing level, you don't want to try to make your siding airtight.

3. wjrobinson | | #3

I third the motion, no caulk.

4. roofnron | | #4
  5. GBA Editor
    Martin Holladay | | #5

According to the document that Ronnie linked to, "Do not caulk areas that will prevent moisture from escaping the wall cavity."

6. jvm | | #6

Thanks. You all confirmed my thoughts.

Community

Recent Questions and Replies

• |
  • |
  • |
  • |