GBA Logo horizontal Facebook LinkedIn Email Pinterest Twitter Instagram YouTube Icon Navigation Search Icon Main Search Icon Video Play Icon Plus Icon Minus Icon Picture icon Hamburger Icon Close Icon Sorted

Community and Q&A

m2·°C/W per inch versus R-value or RSI values?

user-945578 | Posted in Energy Efficiency and Durability on

It appears that the latest insulation performance values are being related in (area) x (temperature) divided by watts (energy/time). In the recent article “Understanding Energy Units” you clarified and defined types of energy units, including watts. I read it in hopes of understanding what m2·°C/W ultimately means when selecting or comparing different insulation materials but after reading it I am still left in the dark.
I also know what a metre is: it’s 3 feet 3-3/8″ inches! I have to covert it if I want to understand it. I realize that R value is a primitive way of looking at thermal performance, but is there any way of converting m2·°C/W into an R value or RSI scale for the sake of simple comprehension?

David Stewart
Saskatchewan, Canada

GBA Prime

Join the leading community of building science experts

Become a GBA Prime member and get instant access to the latest developments in green building, research, and reports from the field.

Replies

1. GBA Editor
    Martin Holladay | | #1

David,
    When discussing R-values and U-factors -- especially when you need to convert metric units to imperial (English) units -- it makes the most sense to stick to a discussion of U-factors. Leave R-values out of the discussion for the time being. For people in the U.S., it's easy to figure out your R-value later, since R=1/U and U=1/R.

In the imperial (English) system, U-factor is the number of BTU of energy passing through a square foot of material in an hour for every Fahrenheit degree difference in temperature across the material (Btu / ft2 * h * F°). In metric, the units are watts per square meter per degree Celsius (W / m2 * C°).

To convert U metric (W / m2 * C°) to U imperial (Btu / ft2 * h * F°), divide by 5.678

To convert U imperial (Btu / ft2 * h * F°) to U metric (W / m2 * C°), multiply by 5.678

Community

Recent Questions and Replies

• |
  • |
  • |
  • |