GBA Logo horizontal Facebook LinkedIn Email Pinterest Twitter X Instagram YouTube Icon Navigation Search Icon Main Search Icon Video Play Icon Plus Icon Minus Icon Picture icon Hamburger Icon Close Icon Sorted

Community and Q&A

Is anybody familiar with http://www.facit-homes.com/? Any concerns?

hr52G3L7m8 | Posted in Energy Efficiency and Durability on

I am considering building a modest home in the Rockies in Grande Cache, Alberta – likely an 2 story octagon with sides 16 feet long and a full walk out basement to take in the beautiful mountain views. This is Canada – resale value drops without a basement. The town has over 12,000 HDD. Labour costs are high. I am looking for a modular system as close to idiot proof as can be reasonably designed so I can erect it with one carpenter and some unskilled labor (friends).

My understanding is that passive house standards cannot be met in this climate without covering the windows at night with systems like those designed by designed by Thorsten Clupp. That is not going to happen. I want to maintain a respectable balance between cost and energy efficiency. R value of walls should be in the R60’s.

The Facit system may fit my needs and appears to be easily modified for different climates. If I use Agepan on the exterior instead of plywood the walls might even be able to dry in both directions as well as minimizing thermal bridging. Any thoughts on the Facit building system are appreciated.

GBA Prime

Join the leading community of building science experts

Become a GBA Prime member and get instant access to the latest developments in green building, research, and reports from the field.

Replies

1. user-659915 | | #1

Just got this far and thought, way to build an ultra-high maintenance home for the British climate! Not such a good idea I think to leave a piece of fine furniture out in the rain.
    http://www.facit-homes.com/clients/celia-diana

2. user-1005003 | | #2

AJ
    The population is just over 4000. Builders are doing standard construction. Nearest city is 2 hours north in Grande Prairie and I live 2 hours south in Edson. No chance to find a modern builder unless I use SIPs. I am hoping for comments specifically on Facit or other 3d manufacturers.

3. user-1005003 | | #3

James

The envelope can be completed in a few days and I would not leave cassettes exposed to weather. Exposure to weather would be similar to plywood on 2x6. Why do you expect high maintenance?

4. homedesign | | #4

Don,
    I agree with James
    I don't think many of the projects at that website are going to "weather" very well

Unless there is a panel factory nearby....
    I think a stick built design with a vented attic and ample roof overhang would be more affordable and durable.

5. user-1005003 | | #5

John,

I love the minimalist designs on the website but I will be building with an overhang of at least 24". The Facit system is not design dependent. The CNC router can be hauled to the site. Having said that I am very concerned about durability of the system even with the overhang. The time to put together 128 cassettes for a two story octagon is also a concern even if they can be stored out of the weather until erection. I agree that a vented roof is going to be the best value.

I would love to find a more modular system than stick build but from the 3 comments received so far from respected writers on this site I may have to keep looking.

My current design has 8' high by 12' wide openings between all octagon corners. The openings can be infilled to suit my preferences and to get the wall up in to the R60's.

Thank for all comments so far.

6. wjrobinson | | #6

Don, this site, really? Your wants; awesome custom home, cheap. Hey, maybe someone will post.
    Your friendly contractor/carpenter with unfortunately skilled subs.

You should find someone local who has done what you are wanting to do is your best bet.

Don, back to earth Don. No matter how a home is framed, there is more to it than the frame. The simplest is to buy an existing home, next is to hire it out, and last is any DIY way, and stick framing to me would be easier than that onsite automation! Two guys can stick frame a floor with walls in a week or less. And you'll still be reading operation directions. It looks like a big fun toy that I would like to play with and then put in storage and eventually wonder what to do with. Always wanted to make full scale plywood critters like the kids size ones that come in a little box.

7. Mike Eliason | | #7

Don,

There are a number of outfits in west that could prefab your assemblies. These would then get flown together in a day or two. Like SIPs, but better. Especially if shooting for near PH levels.

8. user-659915 | | #8

Don:

Why do you expect high maintenance?

I was commenting on the specific design on the linked page - such a combination of flat roofs, no overhangs, unprotected stucco and furniture-grade wood detailing have a zero record of long-term survival in the rainy climate for which it's proposed. I'm sure the cassette system COULD be properly detailed, even perhaps for your demanding climate, but the just-out-of-architecture-school immaturity of this apparently unbuilt project does not breed confidence that the designers have thought the system through to the extent that you could use it to build your home with unskilled labor.

But don't let me put you off... what could possibly go wrong?

9. user-1005003 | | #9

James,

Thanks for the comments. I can design around the problems you mentioned except for one. The zero record of long term survival scares me. The idea of filling perfectly machined boxes with cellulose has a lot of appeal to me. So far I am not brave/stupid enough to try it without a better reason than I have so far.

10. user-1005003 | | #10

James,

Thanks for the comments. I can design around the problems you mentioned except for one. The zero record of long term survival scares me. The idea of filling perfectly machined boxes with cellulose has a lot of appeal to me. So far I am not brave/stupid enough to try it without a better reason than I have so far.

11. wjrobinson | | #11

Don, get your design done, and hand it to a stick frame crew for a price. Have them stick frame it along with a roofer signed up to get the roof on so you are at weathertite which is for me your third bank draw. At that point you are where you would be with this silly 3D CNC onsite idea. You will be the GC and you will get to do with your unpaid wine drinking buddies whatever next phase you desire. To me the easiest phases to do are the mechanicals. Anyone should be able to make water run downhill with the purchase of a few books at Home Depot. And electricity will light up your life. You have never had fun till you drywalled an entire home or tried to master taping to perfection. Nope, after that you will never think of contractors as lessor humanoids. You will now know we are, the masters of the universe. And soon you will join the ranks. May the Gods be with you my man.

ps, skiis are tuned and ready for next season if you are inviting contributors here to a winter open house.

Community

Recent Questions and Replies

• |
  • |
  • |
  • |