GBA Logo horizontal Facebook LinkedIn Email Pinterest Twitter Instagram YouTube Icon Navigation Search Icon Main Search Icon Video Play Icon Plus Icon Minus Icon Picture icon Hamburger Icon Close Icon Sorted

Community and Q&A

Socked draintile problem ?

user-956864 | Posted in Energy Efficiency and Durability on

This question from a builder in Zone 4
I found out something interesting last week. A lot of the manufactures won’t warranty the socked draintile application in our area because of the soil conditions. Can we get an exclusion from this for ESTAR 3 because of this?
Doesn’t make sense to me that if it is properly buried beneath 4″ of aggregate and below the top of the footing that the soil condition should matter?

GBA Prime

Join the leading community of building science experts

Become a GBA Prime member and get instant access to the latest developments in green building, research, and reports from the field.

Replies

1. GBA Editor
    Martin Holladay | | #1

Rick,
    Perforated drain pipes are eventually defeated on some sites by a variety of failure modes, including silt intrusion and tree roots. Talk to your builder about the reasons behind the warranty exclusion.

I don't see any reason why warranty details would affect your obligations under the Energy Star program.

As far as I know, installing perforated drain pipe around your footing is not optional; it's a code requirement.

2. user-956864 | | #2

Thanks Martin. Forgive the double post. Tried to undo myself.

3. MICHAEL CHANDLER | | #3

In some dense clay soils it is better to put the filter fabric over the top of the washed gravel back fill than to use the socked drain tile under the gravel. Better to use slotted pipe w/ out the sock there and put the fabric up top. (Cheaper too) If you use holy (septic field) pipe remember that the holes face down, water rises into the pipe from below, I also generally bring the pipe to the surface at top as well as bottom of the pitch so that I can run a leaf blower when the utilities are done to confirm that the power company and landscaper haven't compromised my drain tiles (yet again) Finally be absolutely sure not to have any potential for cross connection between gutter drains and foundation drains. On two occasions I have had landscapers cross-connect the drains about 20 feet down hill from the house (both times well after completion of construction while constructing retaining walls) in such a way that the gutters drained back under the house.

Community

Recent Questions and Replies

• |
  • |
  • |
  • |