GBA Logo horizontal Facebook LinkedIn Email Pinterest Twitter Instagram YouTube Icon Navigation Search Icon Main Search Icon Video Play Icon Plus Icon Minus Icon Picture icon Hamburger Icon Close Icon Sorted

Community and Q&A

Types and advantages of heated crawl space?

isonx001 | Posted in Energy Efficiency and Durability on

I’m having a small lake cabin built in northern Wisconsin, with a crawl space with slab floor. I’m told many newer cabins there have heated floors in their crawl spaces. Can you tell me, or point me to articles explaining, the various options for heating a crawl space floor and the advantages/disadvantages of doing so? We would like to spend several weeks and weekends there every winter, but will use it mostly in the summer. Thanks!

GBA Prime

Join the leading community of building science experts

Become a GBA Prime member and get instant access to the latest developments in green building, research, and reports from the field.

Replies

1. GBA Editor
    Martin Holladay | | #1

Chris,
    It makes sense to insulate the walls of a crawl space and seal it up, but I have never heard of anyone installing a radiant slab in a crawl space. That sounds like a big waste of money.

Here in Vermont, some homeowners, driven by desperation, install space heaters in their crawl spaces in an attempt to keep their pipes from freezing. Such a wasteful and desperate approach, however, wouldn't be necessary in a new house. It's only necessary in a 150-year-old farmhouse with leaky stone walls and dirt-floored crawl spaces where it's impossible to keep out the winter winds.

2. user-884554 | | #2

Martin,
    Your comment about space heaters in crawl spaces reminds me of a neighbor who several years ago burned his own house to the ground when he put a salamander type heater in his crawl space for that exact reason. Get this, HE IS A BUILDER!

Community

Recent Questions and Replies

• |
  • |
  • |
  • |