GBA Logo horizontal Facebook LinkedIn Email Pinterest Twitter Instagram YouTube Icon Navigation Search Icon Main Search Icon Video Play Icon Plus Icon Minus Icon Picture icon Hamburger Icon Close Icon Sorted

Community and Q&A

Polyiso HD cover board to insulate a basement floor

[email protected] | Posted in Energy Efficiency and Durability on

I need every inch of height on my basement ceiling, so I was wondering if either 1 or 2 layers of roofing type polyiso HD cover board would work as both the insulation and sub-tile floor? A couple of companies make such cover board and both claim an R value of 2.5 for only 1/2″ thickness. All input is appreciated.

GBA Prime

Join the leading community of building science experts

Become a GBA Prime member and get instant access to the latest developments in green building, research, and reports from the field.

Replies

1. GBA Editor
    Martin Holladay | | #1

Brian,
    My guess is that the foam will be too squishy to work as a substrate for tile.

My advice: (a) use XPS, not polyiso, (b) include a subfloor of plywood or cement backerboard above the XPS, and (c) choose a more flexible type of flooring -- not tile.

2. [email protected] | | #2

Thanks Martin. I was thinking that cover board was inherently not squishy. To confirm we're talking about the same thing, I'm attaching the following link. There is at least one other manufacturer with a similar cover board, but this will give you the idea: http://www.firestonebpco.com/roofing/insulation/coverboards/isogardhd/

3. GBA Editor
    Martin Holladay | | #3

Brian,
    Just because an insulation board is stiff and rigid enough for roofing applications, doesn't mean that it's stiff and rigid enough to use under ceramic tile.

4. [email protected] | | #4

Fair enough. Thanks.

5. Expert Member
    Dana Dorsett | | #5

There's also the issue that in an over-slab application it's likely to take on groundwater over time, reducing it's effective R-value. Iso is oftenOK to use on basement walls, slabs, not so much (no matter how rigid the subflooring is for distributing the mechanical loads.)

6. [email protected] | | #6

Conceeded and appreciated. Thanks!

Community

Recent Questions and Replies

• |
  • |
  • |
  • |