Restored steel casement window solutions?

After doing some thermal investigation, I have restored a bunch of late '50s steel casement windows for use on an addition. I had found a place, Innerglass, that made interior, spring loading, storm windows that sounded like they would take my casements from beautiful to practical.

However, recently I have read about "magnetic bellow" design window inserts, so I am looking for advice.

I live in central Illinois. Lots of the casements will be facing south. I know these windows arent the smart choice, but I really like them.

Any advice on how to make these windows the best they can be, thermally, would be greatly appreciated.

Asked by sarah mccutcheon
Posted Nov 14, 2012 2:37 PM ET
Edited Nov 14, 2012 3:35 PM ET

1.

Re-glazing the originals with a hard-coat low-E glass and putting low-E storm windows on the EXTERIOR would be a bigger thermal improvement than any interior storm window, despite the inconvenience of exterior storms on casement windows. But I suppose you've already re-glazed them with un-coated clear glass(?).

Steel frames are an order of magnitude more conductive than wood/fiberglass/vinyl, and it's hard to turn them into great performers, but putting the steel frames inside a less-conductive and tight exterior storm is better than the interior storms which are harder to make air-tight.

Posted Nov 19, 2012 3:56 PM ET

Pretty Good House in Iowa

In Green building techniques | Asked by Thomas R | Jul 27, 15

More confused....open vs. closed spray foam for my climate zone

In Energy efficiency and durability | Asked by Joe Watson | Jul 21, 15

We were looking to replace our front door which has 2 flanking sidelights

In Energy efficiency and durability | Asked by Christian Rodriguez | Jul 27, 15

Insulate ducts in conditioned basement?

In Energy efficiency and durability | Asked by Jeremy M | Jul 27, 15

Insulation for condensation control changes from IRC 2009 to 2012

In Building Code Questions | Asked by Tom Frisch | Jul 26, 15