Restored steel casement window solutions?

After doing some thermal investigation, I have restored a bunch of late '50s steel casement windows for use on an addition. I had found a place, Innerglass, that made interior, spring loading, storm windows that sounded like they would take my casements from beautiful to practical.

However, recently I have read about "magnetic bellow" design window inserts, so I am looking for advice.

I live in central Illinois. Lots of the casements will be facing south. I know these windows arent the smart choice, but I really like them.

Any advice on how to make these windows the best they can be, thermally, would be greatly appreciated.

Asked by sarah mccutcheon
Edited Wed, 11/14/2012 - 14:35

1.

Re-glazing the originals with a hard-coat low-E glass and putting low-E storm windows on the EXTERIOR would be a bigger thermal improvement than any interior storm window, despite the inconvenience of exterior storms on casement windows. But I suppose you've already re-glazed them with un-coated clear glass(?).

Steel frames are an order of magnitude more conductive than wood/fiberglass/vinyl, and it's hard to turn them into great performers, but putting the steel frames inside a less-conductive and tight exterior storm is better than the interior storms which are harder to make air-tight.

Is this furnace venting/leaking problem as bad as it looks?

In Mechanicals | Asked by Nathaniel G | Dec 20, 14

How to handle SE/SW orientation? And any experiences with Richlin windows?

In PassivHaus | Asked by Ryan Griffin | Sep 29, 14

Wet OSB - how much water can it take?

In General questions | Asked by colleen1 runyen | Dec 17, 14

Sensors in the house envelope

In Energy efficiency and durability | Asked by Karl Overn | Dec 21, 14

Airsealing an attic

In General questions | Asked by Dan McGonigle | Dec 21, 14