Helpful? 0

Restored steel casement window solutions?

After doing some thermal investigation, I have restored a bunch of late '50s steel casement windows for use on an addition. I had found a place, Innerglass, that made interior, spring loading, storm windows that sounded like they would take my casements from beautiful to practical.

However, recently I have read about "magnetic bellow" design window inserts, so I am looking for advice.

I live in central Illinois. Lots of the casements will be facing south. I know these windows arent the smart choice, but I really like them.

Any advice on how to make these windows the best they can be, thermally, would be greatly appreciated.

Asked by sarah mccutcheon
Posted Wed, 11/14/2012 - 14:37
Edited Wed, 11/14/2012 - 15:35

Tags:

1 Answer

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.
Helpful? 0

Re-glazing the originals with a hard-coat low-E glass and putting low-E storm windows on the EXTERIOR would be a bigger thermal improvement than any interior storm window, despite the inconvenience of exterior storms on casement windows. But I suppose you've already re-glazed them with un-coated clear glass(?).

Steel frames are an order of magnitude more conductive than wood/fiberglass/vinyl, and it's hard to turn them into great performers, but putting the steel frames inside a less-conductive and tight exterior storm is better than the interior storms which are harder to make air-tight.

Answered by Dana Dorsett
Posted Mon, 11/19/2012 - 15:56

Other Questions in Energy efficiency and durability

Calculating how much air needed to even out temps for minisplit

In Mechanicals | Asked by Tom Frisch | Oct 23, 14

How do deviations in average winter temperature affect energy consumption?

In Energy efficiency and durability | Asked by norm farwell | Oct 24, 14

Flat roof insulation

In Energy efficiency and durability | Asked by Angela M | Nov 22, 13

Roof insulation

In GBA Pro help | Asked by Steven Clark | Oct 24, 14
Register for a free account and join the conversation

Get a free account and join the conversation!
Become a GBA PRO!