Restored steel casement window solutions?

After doing some thermal investigation, I have restored a bunch of late '50s steel casement windows for use on an addition. I had found a place, Innerglass, that made interior, spring loading, storm windows that sounded like they would take my casements from beautiful to practical.

However, recently I have read about "magnetic bellow" design window inserts, so I am looking for advice.

I live in central Illinois. Lots of the casements will be facing south. I know these windows arent the smart choice, but I really like them.

Any advice on how to make these windows the best they can be, thermally, would be greatly appreciated.

Asked by sarah mccutcheon
Posted Nov 14, 2012 2:37 PM ET
Edited Nov 14, 2012 3:35 PM ET

1.

Re-glazing the originals with a hard-coat low-E glass and putting low-E storm windows on the EXTERIOR would be a bigger thermal improvement than any interior storm window, despite the inconvenience of exterior storms on casement windows. But I suppose you've already re-glazed them with un-coated clear glass(?).

Steel frames are an order of magnitude more conductive than wood/fiberglass/vinyl, and it's hard to turn them into great performers, but putting the steel frames inside a less-conductive and tight exterior storm is better than the interior storms which are harder to make air-tight.

Posted Nov 19, 2012 3:56 PM ET

Cold climate (6) standing seam metal roof leak

In Energy efficiency and durability | Asked by David Metzger | Mar 28, 15

Fresh air distribution for hydronically heated house?

In Mechanicals | Asked by John Charlesworth | Mar 26, 15

Interior plywood for earthquake areas — can it replace a vapor retarder?

In General questions | Asked by Jan Verschuren | Mar 29, 15

How safe is a polystyrene Styrofoam board for me to use practically?

In General questions | Asked by Mark Granberry II | Mar 28, 15

New hybrid termite emerges in Florida

In Energy efficiency and durability | Asked by Peter L | Mar 29, 15