GBA Logo horizontal Facebook LinkedIn Email Pinterest Twitter X Instagram YouTube Icon Navigation Search Icon Main Search Icon Video Play Icon Plus Icon Minus Icon Picture icon Hamburger Icon Close Icon Sorted

Community and Q&A

How to insulate roof?

illegalsmile | Posted in Energy Efficiency and Durability on

Hi,

I am renovating this old porch addition and want to insulate it properly. There must have been some moisture issues before because some of the OSB has what looks to be mold or something moisture related. Luckily it doesn’t seem to smell and it still feels firm. I’m speaking with a spray foam installer today but I have the feeling that cost for the size of the ceiling (145sq.ft.) is going to be rather… expensive.

These are 2×4 rafters on OSB with a layer of roofing felt and then a corrugated locking steel roof. There should be some ventilation due to the nature of the roof. I’ve attached some photos. My thoughts are 2×4 batts with a layer of 6mil poly and then 5/8″ drywall. The walls have 1″ foam on the outside w/ stucco.

If I don’t go with spray foam what’s my next best option for method and materials?

Thanks for your help.

GBA Prime

Join the leading community of building science experts

Become a GBA Prime member and get instant access to the latest developments in green building, research, and reports from the field.

Replies

1. GBA Editor
    Martin Holladay | | #1

Benjamin,
    I suggest that you read this article: How to Build an Insulated Cathedral Ceiling.

Community

Recent Questions and Replies

• |
  • |
  • |
  • |