Hybrid Wall - Closed Cell Spray Foam Flash w/ Exterior Insulated Sheathing

As I was searching through the various posts related to the use of insulated sheathing on the exterior envelope I have not seen anything for or against the use of exterior insulation in combination with 2# closed cell spray foam (1-2" thick) on the interior cavity. My first thoughts were combination may allow you to reduce the thickness of the exterior insulation, aleviating some of the window/trim detail concerns and still help you reduce the likelihood of the dew point occuring at the sheathing (both are basically vapor impermeable). My concerns is related to the issues that may occur if the tape at the seams of the exterior insulation fails or water/moisture finds its way somehow between the two insulations and has no way to escape, thus rotting out the structural sheathing sandwiched in between? I think i know the answer is to probably not to use this system because of this concern, but I wanted to throw the question out there to get the thoughts of the community. Thanks in advance for your input.

Asked by Michael Burke
Posted Dec 20, 2012 4:21 PM ET
Edited Dec 20, 2012 4:23 PM ET

Smart vapor retarder over open-cell SPF on underside of roof in Zone 4 (Washington, DC)?

In Energy efficiency and durability | Asked by Elizabeth Hilder | May 5, 16

Mini-split vs Forced air and attic insulation

In Green building techniques | Asked by Mike W | May 6, 16

Can someone explain the science behind a mid-wall vapor barrier on a double stud wall?

In Green building techniques | Asked by Adam Peterson | May 4, 16

How does efficiency in a mini-split vary over various operating levels?

In Mechanicals | Asked by david jensen | May 3, 16

Improvement on the Lstiburek Ideal Double Stud?

In Green building techniques | Asked by Burke Stoller | May 6, 16