Hybrid Wall - Closed Cell Spray Foam Flash w/ Exterior Insulated Sheathing

As I was searching through the various posts related to the use of insulated sheathing on the exterior envelope I have not seen anything for or against the use of exterior insulation in combination with 2# closed cell spray foam (1-2" thick) on the interior cavity. My first thoughts were combination may allow you to reduce the thickness of the exterior insulation, aleviating some of the window/trim detail concerns and still help you reduce the likelihood of the dew point occuring at the sheathing (both are basically vapor impermeable). My concerns is related to the issues that may occur if the tape at the seams of the exterior insulation fails or water/moisture finds its way somehow between the two insulations and has no way to escape, thus rotting out the structural sheathing sandwiched in between? I think i know the answer is to probably not to use this system because of this concern, but I wanted to throw the question out there to get the thoughts of the community. Thanks in advance for your input.

Asked by Michael Burke
Posted Dec 20, 2012 4:21 PM ET
Edited Dec 20, 2012 4:23 PM ET

Improve efficiency and comfort of this room?

In Energy efficiency and durability | Asked by Michael Lee | Apr 22, 15

Suggestion for making a 30 year old home more efficient while roof and siding are off

In Energy efficiency and durability | Asked by Chad B | Apr 25, 15

How does foil facing on attic side of roof sheathing reduce attic heat gain?

In Energy efficiency and durability | Asked by Aaron Becker | Apr 26, 15

Using SIPs for my upcoming roof project

In General questions | Asked by Donald Harvey | Apr 26, 15

Installed R-60 insulation in attic... now using AC more than before

In General questions | Asked by Jeff Watson | Jul 12, 14