Condensaton and icing on new E-Star windows

Hello, I have a new house (under 1 year old) that is E-Star compliant with double-glazed thermopane casement windows. Now that the weather has turned colder I am seeing condensation and icing along the bottom of the interior (room) side of most of my windows. The humidity in the house is pretty low. Is this indicative of defective windows, and how can I make a more accurate determination?

Thanks in advance,

Asked by Edmund Nadolski
Posted Dec 26, 2012 1:35 PM ET

You don't have defective windows; you are simply seeing a demonstration of physics in action.

To get rid of the condensation, add an exterior storm window or lower your indoor humidity level.

For more information on the topic, see Rating Windows for Condensation Resistance.

Posted Dec 26, 2012 2:06 PM ET
Edited Dec 26, 2012 2:08 PM ET.

Ed: "The humidity in the house is pretty low." Define "pretty low", pls. Are the windows outies in real thick walls? Do you have curtains or shades drawn a lot of the time?

Answered by John Klingel
Posted Dec 27, 2012 2:22 AM ET

Double Stud Wall sheathing and vapor barrier

In Plans Review | Asked by Jimmy Nguyen | Sep 30, 15

Insulation advice

In Energy efficiency and durability | Asked by Quinton | Oct 4, 15

Anyone familiar with Insultex house wrap?

In Green products and materials | Asked by Marcus Sheffer | Jul 31, 15

Sure ext foam when blowing wall cavities might be good idea, but is it NECESSARY?

In Energy efficiency and durability | Asked by Mark Baker | Oct 5, 15

Sight-built Sips detail--leave the middle foil face?

In GBA Pro help | Asked by Brian McDonald | Oct 5, 15