Condensaton and icing on new E-Star windows

Hello, I have a new house (under 1 year old) that is E-Star compliant with double-glazed thermopane casement windows. Now that the weather has turned colder I am seeing condensation and icing along the bottom of the interior (room) side of most of my windows. The humidity in the house is pretty low. Is this indicative of defective windows, and how can I make a more accurate determination?

Thanks in advance,
Ed

Asked by Edmund Nadolski
Posted Dec 26, 2012 12:35 PM ET

1.

Ed,
You don't have defective windows; you are simply seeing a demonstration of physics in action.

To get rid of the condensation, add an exterior storm window or lower your indoor humidity level.

For more information on the topic, see Rating Windows for Condensation Resistance.

Posted Dec 26, 2012 1:06 PM ET
Edited Dec 26, 2012 1:08 PM ET.

2.

Ed: "The humidity in the house is pretty low." Define "pretty low", pls. Are the windows outies in real thick walls? Do you have curtains or shades drawn a lot of the time?

Answered by John Klingel
Posted Dec 27, 2012 1:22 AM ET

What radon mitigation system do I need?

In General questions | Asked by Jimmie-lou | Feb 21, 18

Dehumidification and (or vs.) mini-splits

In Mechanicals | Asked by James Howison | Feb 22, 18

Midea Ductless Units

In Mechanicals | Asked by Ryan Wiley | Feb 22, 18

Advice on trimming out exterior light fixture where pancake box sticks out too far?

In General questions | Asked by MichaelBa | Feb 18, 18

Is PERSIST really practical in coastal Maine?

In Green building techniques | Asked by user-7005034 | Feb 21, 18