Condensaton and icing on new E-Star windows

Hello, I have a new house (under 1 year old) that is E-Star compliant with double-glazed thermopane casement windows. Now that the weather has turned colder I am seeing condensation and icing along the bottom of the interior (room) side of most of my windows. The humidity in the house is pretty low. Is this indicative of defective windows, and how can I make a more accurate determination?

Thanks in advance,
Ed

Asked by Edmund Nadolski
Posted Dec 26, 2012 1:35 PM ET

1.

Ed,
You don't have defective windows; you are simply seeing a demonstration of physics in action.

To get rid of the condensation, add an exterior storm window or lower your indoor humidity level.

For more information on the topic, see Rating Windows for Condensation Resistance.

Posted Dec 26, 2012 2:06 PM ET
Edited Dec 26, 2012 2:08 PM ET.

2.

Ed: "The humidity in the house is pretty low." Define "pretty low", pls. Are the windows outies in real thick walls? Do you have curtains or shades drawn a lot of the time?

Answered by John Klingel
Posted Dec 27, 2012 2:22 AM ET

Membrane in unvented roof

In General questions | Asked by Harold Orozco | Apr 30, 15

Dense-Pack Cellulose Cathedral Ceiling

In Green building techniques | Asked by Keith Richtman | Aug 14, 14

Is there a standard factor General Contractors use when calculating their fee to construct

In General questions | Asked by scott schroeder | May 22, 15

OSB versus Styrofoam

In General questions | Asked by Shane sims | May 22, 15

Soundproofing Bedrooms

In General questions | Asked by Robert Car | Oct 15, 10