Condensaton and icing on new E-Star windows

Hello, I have a new house (under 1 year old) that is E-Star compliant with double-glazed thermopane casement windows. Now that the weather has turned colder I am seeing condensation and icing along the bottom of the interior (room) side of most of my windows. The humidity in the house is pretty low. Is this indicative of defective windows, and how can I make a more accurate determination?

Thanks in advance,
Ed

Asked by Edmund Nadolski

1.

Ed,
You don't have defective windows; you are simply seeing a demonstration of physics in action.

To get rid of the condensation, add an exterior storm window or lower your indoor humidity level.

For more information on the topic, see Rating Windows for Condensation Resistance.

Edited Wed, 12/26/2012 - 14:08.

2.

Ed: "The humidity in the house is pretty low." Define "pretty low", pls. Are the windows outies in real thick walls? Do you have curtains or shades drawn a lot of the time?

Answered by John Klingel

In Mechanicals | Asked by Justin Fink | Aug 22, 13
In GBA Pro help | Asked by Kach Kidibba | Apr 23, 14
In General questions | Asked by Pierre Brazeau | Apr 22, 14
In Energy efficiency and durability | Asked by Bill Daugherty | Apr 20, 14