Selecting correct windows

I am currently planning a new cabin at Shaver Lake California with elevation of about 5000 feet . The winter time low temp can get down to 10 degrees with Dec. and Jan. average low of about 21 degrees and daytime summer high average of about 87 degrees. My question is this. Should I consider triple pane windows with SHGC of 40 to 50 for winter time warmth?
I currently live in the San Joaquin Valley where we typically use windows with the lowest SHGC we can find and just accept whatever U-factor the specific window type and manufacturer provides.

Thank you
Gary Richardson
garyr1@comcast.net

Asked by Gary Richardson
Posted Jan 2, 2013 2:10 PM ET

1.

Gary,
Only you can answer that question. Triple-glazed windows will certainly be more comfortable to sit near on a cold winter night.

Whether or not the upcharge is worth the investment depends on your energy costs, your assumptions on future energy inflation, how long you plan to keep the house, and how much you value comfort.

Posted Jan 2, 2013 2:16 PM ET

2.

I suppose I should have told you we will be using Propane for heat which varies in cost but average is probably $3.50 per gallon or 91,000 btu per.
Gary Richardson

Answered by Gary Richardson
Posted Jan 2, 2013 6:47 PM ET

Adding exterior insulation over stucco

In Energy efficiency and durability | Asked by Christopher Houston | Mar 27, 17

Green & Passive design

In Plans Review | Asked by Becky Nemetchek | Mar 29, 17

Insulation questions on a gut rehab

In Energy efficiency and durability | Asked by tkaj | Mar 28, 17

Joist - Hard to Sister

In General questions | Asked by Erich Riesenberg | Mar 29, 17

Insulation help for attic garage in Zone 2A (while allowing for storage)

In Energy efficiency and durability | Asked by CJ Fox | Mar 29, 17