Selecting correct windows

I am currently planning a new cabin at Shaver Lake California with elevation of about 5000 feet . The winter time low temp can get down to 10 degrees with Dec. and Jan. average low of about 21 degrees and daytime summer high average of about 87 degrees. My question is this. Should I consider triple pane windows with SHGC of 40 to 50 for winter time warmth?
I currently live in the San Joaquin Valley where we typically use windows with the lowest SHGC we can find and just accept whatever U-factor the specific window type and manufacturer provides.

Thank you
Gary Richardson

Asked by Gary Richardson
Posted Jan 2, 2013 2:10 PM ET

Only you can answer that question. Triple-glazed windows will certainly be more comfortable to sit near on a cold winter night.

Whether or not the upcharge is worth the investment depends on your energy costs, your assumptions on future energy inflation, how long you plan to keep the house, and how much you value comfort.

Posted Jan 2, 2013 2:16 PM ET

I suppose I should have told you we will be using Propane for heat which varies in cost but average is probably $3.50 per gallon or 91,000 btu per.
Gary Richardson

Answered by Gary Richardson
Posted Jan 2, 2013 6:47 PM ET

Sizing a heating and cooling system

In Mechanicals | Asked by Jonathan Lawrence CZ 4A New Jersey | Oct 24, 16

Heat with a minisplit in Ontario

In Mechanicals | Asked by Joe McRae | Oct 23, 16

How to insulate a stackboard house?

In Energy efficiency and durability | Asked by Terry Sharpe | Jan 4, 16

Cedar siding installation

In Green building techniques | Asked by Geoffrey Cook | Oct 24, 16

Sun Bandit solar water heater

In Green products and materials | Asked by Scott Wilson | Oct 21, 16