Selecting correct windows

I am currently planning a new cabin at Shaver Lake California with elevation of about 5000 feet . The winter time low temp can get down to 10 degrees with Dec. and Jan. average low of about 21 degrees and daytime summer high average of about 87 degrees. My question is this. Should I consider triple pane windows with SHGC of 40 to 50 for winter time warmth?
I currently live in the San Joaquin Valley where we typically use windows with the lowest SHGC we can find and just accept whatever U-factor the specific window type and manufacturer provides.

Thank you
Gary Richardson
garyr1@comcast.net

Asked by Gary Richardson

1.

Gary,
Only you can answer that question. Triple-glazed windows will certainly be more comfortable to sit near on a cold winter night.

Whether or not the upcharge is worth the investment depends on your energy costs, your assumptions on future energy inflation, how long you plan to keep the house, and how much you value comfort.

2.

I suppose I should have told you we will be using Propane for heat which varies in cost but average is probably $3.50 per gallon or 91,000 btu per.
Gary Richardson

Answered by Gary Richardson

In Green building techniques | Asked by kevin field | Jul 30, 14
In Energy efficiency and durability | Asked by Jeff Lever | Jul 29, 14
In Energy efficiency and durability | Asked by Calum Wilde | Jul 30, 14
In Energy efficiency and durability | Asked by david chinn | Jul 27, 14
In Green building techniques | Asked by JMS Build | Jul 30, 14