Why no "ridge vents" for walls?

I've been thinking about wall insulation vs. attic insulation. Why is it that ventilation is not needed in wall assemblies using fiberglass or cellulose insulation in the same way that it is needed for roof assemblies. I certainly know this is true, but discover I'm not clear on the science behind it. For old 2x4 walls, I think it might be because the insulation is thin enough so the dew point isn't reached within the assembly. But what about double stud walls and other higher insulation assemblies?

Asked by Hallie17
Posted Jan 10, 2013 3:37 PM ET
Edited Jan 10, 2013 3:59 PM ET

1.

Hallie,
The short answer to your question: if you are building a double-stud wall, you should definitely include ventilation. The ventilated air gap between the siding and the wall sheathing is usually called a rainscreen gap.

I have been recommending the practice for thick walls for some time; for example, see How Risky Is Cold OSB Wall Sheathing?

Answered by user-756436
Posted Jan 10, 2013 3:58 PM ET

New home build in Iowa (Climate Zone 5)

In Building Code Questions | Asked by N/A N/A | Feb 20, 17

Whole House Ventilation

In General questions | Asked by N/A N/A | Feb 21, 17

Do pellet stoves generate much creosote?

In General questions | Asked by Martin Holladay | Feb 17, 17

Cracking slab

In GBA Pro help | Asked by Jim Tyler | Feb 20, 17

Garage Door Perimeter Seals

In Energy efficiency and durability | Asked by Jonathan Sinclair | Feb 20, 17