Why no "ridge vents" for walls?

I've been thinking about wall insulation vs. attic insulation. Why is it that ventilation is not needed in wall assemblies using fiberglass or cellulose insulation in the same way that it is needed for roof assemblies. I certainly know this is true, but discover I'm not clear on the science behind it. For old 2x4 walls, I think it might be because the insulation is thin enough so the dew point isn't reached within the assembly. But what about double stud walls and other higher insulation assemblies?

Asked by Hallie Bowie
Posted Jan 10, 2013 4:37 PM ET
Edited Jan 10, 2013 4:59 PM ET

1.

Hallie,
The short answer to your question: if you are building a double-stud wall, you should definitely include ventilation. The ventilated air gap between the siding and the wall sheathing is usually called a rainscreen gap.

I have been recommending the practice for thick walls for some time; for example, see How Risky Is Cold OSB Wall Sheathing?

Posted Jan 10, 2013 4:58 PM ET

XPS or PVC under base plate

In Green building techniques | Asked by Andrew Wayland | Feb 22, 15

Vented attic vs. a sealed, non-vented, airtight attic

In Energy efficiency and durability | Asked by Calvin Smith | Sep 1, 15

I am considering getting solar panels on my roof

In Green products and materials | Asked by Dave Sanda | Aug 31, 15

Attic Ductwork

In Energy efficiency and durability | Asked by Janice West | Jul 11, 15

Best strategy for waterproofing and insulating a half block/half brick basement?

In Plans Review | Asked by Matt Bierlein | Jul 13, 15