Why no "ridge vents" for walls?

I've been thinking about wall insulation vs. attic insulation. Why is it that ventilation is not needed in wall assemblies using fiberglass or cellulose insulation in the same way that it is needed for roof assemblies. I certainly know this is true, but discover I'm not clear on the science behind it. For old 2x4 walls, I think it might be because the insulation is thin enough so the dew point isn't reached within the assembly. But what about double stud walls and other higher insulation assemblies?

Asked by Hallie Bowie
Edited Thu, 01/10/2013 - 15:59

1.

Hallie,
The short answer to your question: if you are building a double-stud wall, you should definitely include ventilation. The ventilated air gap between the siding and the wall sheathing is usually called a rainscreen gap.

I have been recommending the practice for thick walls for some time; for example, see How Risky Is Cold OSB Wall Sheathing?

Polyiso for basement

In Green building techniques | Asked by sr kod | Dec 20, 14

Wet OSB - how much water can it take?

In General questions | Asked by colleen1 runyen | Dec 17, 14

Ventilating

In Mechanicals | Asked by Vishy S | Dec 21, 14

Modern (hydronic) heating and what all should start to know as of 2014

In Mechanicals | Asked by aj builder, Upstate NY Zone 6a | Dec 4, 14

Sensors in House Envelope

In Energy efficiency and durability | Asked by Karl Overn | Dec 21, 14