GBA Logo horizontal Facebook LinkedIn Email Pinterest Twitter X Instagram YouTube Icon Navigation Search Icon Main Search Icon Video Play Icon Plus Icon Minus Icon Picture icon Hamburger Icon Close Icon Sorted

Community and Q&A

Rigid foam board in Newfoundland

pffowler | Posted in Energy Efficiency and Durability on

I live just outside St. Johns Newfoundland and will be building a new house this coming spring. I will be using 2×6 for framing. In the cavities I will install Roxul R -24. ½ spruce plywood covered by building wrap. Next I plan on installing 2 inches of Owens Corning ridged foam, tape seams. Next 1×4 strapping, rainscreen on 16 centers for attaching 6 inch spruce clapboard. My question is 2 inches enough to keep the wall warm where I live. Average winter temperature is 0C but it can get colder. Also can be quite damp with horizontal rain due to high winds.

GBA Prime

Join the leading community of building science experts

Become a GBA Prime member and get instant access to the latest developments in green building, research, and reports from the field.

Replies

1. jinmtvt | | #1

owens corning = XPS ??
    will it be covered or use as your water shield same time ?

How many sq ft of wall ext walls ?

If temp doesn't go too far below 0c and if it doesn't go there often,
    i'd say that you in business with 2" of XPS ( R10? ) and the Roxul 24
    You won't probably get R24 from the Roxul because of the thermal bridge from the 2X6,
    but the exterior foam will cut the bridge and and you will probably get near R20 with this ..
    additiona R10 of foam i'd say you will be at neat R30 all around!!
    that's a pretty good insulated wall for a moderate temperature as you get !

Not too sure about the rain screen exterior, somebody else will probably help you much more on that matter than me ! :)

Move the building warp outside of the foam i'd say ..keep the foam as dry as possible
    if possible for you to flash the wrap properly at this position

personally i try to use water shield as far as possible without compromising its integrity

Could also use 2 layers of tyvek if you want to be 100% safe about water management.

high winds always = water problems
    water problems always = $$$$

so better more than just enough protection

2. GBA Editor
    Martin Holladay | | #2

Paul,
    If you can choose a U.S. climate zone that is similar to your climate zone in Newfoundland, then you can answer your question by consulting the simple table in this article: Calculating the Minimum Thickness of Rigid Foam Sheathing.

If you aren't sure which climate zone to choose, and you want to be sure of your decision, you can perform your own dew-point calculations by following the instructions in this article: Are Dew-Point Calculations Really Necessary?

Community

Recent Questions and Replies

• |
  • |
  • |
  • |