How can I fix a poorly ventilated cathedral ceiling insulated with kraft-faced insulation?

I am in the planning stages of renovating a home that has cathedral ceilings with 2 x 8 rafters and R-19 kraft-faced insulation. Ventilation is poor at best. There is frost on the underside of the roof sheathing.

I would like to turn it into a hot roof by sealing up any vents and either replacing the the insulation with closed-cell foam or adding 2 two-inch layers of polyiso on top of the roof deck (leaving the existing insulation in place). If I choose the latter, will I be trapping moisture with the kraft facing?

Asked by Frank Ball
Posted Jan 22, 2013 10:20 PM ET
Edited Jan 23, 2013 3:56 PM ET

1.

Frank,
Your proposal to install 4 inches of polyisocyanurate on top of your roof sheathing will work in climate zone 6 or anywhere warmer.

In colder climates (climate zones 7 and 8), the rigid foam needs to be thicker, in order to keep the temperature of the roof sheathing above the dew point during the winter.

The kraft facing on the fiberglass batts is optional. It won't do much to help your roof assembly, nor will its presence cause any problems.

For more information, see How to Build an Insulated Cathedral Ceiling

Posted Jan 23, 2013 7:38 AM ET

Continuous insulation under slab

In Building Code Questions | Asked by Adam Smerchanski | May 2, 16

Pond pebbles instead of crushed gravel for the driveway - what to do?

In General questions | Asked by Lucyna de Barbaro | Apr 30, 16

Exterior rigid foam and re-siding project...

In Energy efficiency and durability | Asked by Howard Gentler | May 2, 16

Insulation and air conditioning

In Energy efficiency and durability | Asked by Kevin Gabbard | May 1, 16

High humidity in spray foam attic

In General questions | Asked by Nic Smith | Apr 30, 16