How can I fix a poorly ventilated cathedral ceiling insulated with kraft-faced insulation?

I am in the planning stages of renovating a home that has cathedral ceilings with 2 x 8 rafters and R-19 kraft-faced insulation. Ventilation is poor at best. There is frost on the underside of the roof sheathing.

I would like to turn it into a hot roof by sealing up any vents and either replacing the the insulation with closed-cell foam or adding 2 two-inch layers of polyiso on top of the roof deck (leaving the existing insulation in place). If I choose the latter, will I be trapping moisture with the kraft facing?

Asked by Frank Ball
Posted Jan 22, 2013 10:20 PM ET
Edited Jan 23, 2013 3:56 PM ET

1.

Frank,
Your proposal to install 4 inches of polyisocyanurate on top of your roof sheathing will work in climate zone 6 or anywhere warmer.

In colder climates (climate zones 7 and 8), the rigid foam needs to be thicker, in order to keep the temperature of the roof sheathing above the dew point during the winter.

The kraft facing on the fiberglass batts is optional. It won't do much to help your roof assembly, nor will its presence cause any problems.

For more information, see How to Build an Insulated Cathedral Ceiling

Posted Jan 23, 2013 7:38 AM ET

Unvented slanted roof with radiant cooling and NO polyurethane in 4C

In GBA Pro help | Asked by Jan Verschuren | Mar 11, 15

Exterior foil-faced polyiso question

In Green building techniques | Asked by Randy Mason | Mar 16, 15

Should I air seal and insulate above the ceiling of my attached garage?

In Energy efficiency and durability | Asked by Nathaniel G | Mar 30, 15

New home buyer — metal roof in Maine with no sheathing

In General questions | Asked by dimitrios maniatakos | Mar 28, 15

2 questions: Rigid foam in attic space

In Energy efficiency and durability | Asked by Jeremy M | Mar 30, 15