How can I fix a poorly ventilated cathedral ceiling insulated with kraft-faced insulation?

I am in the planning stages of renovating a home that has cathedral ceilings with 2 x 8 rafters and R-19 kraft-faced insulation. Ventilation is poor at best. There is frost on the underside of the roof sheathing.

I would like to turn it into a hot roof by sealing up any vents and either replacing the the insulation with closed-cell foam or adding 2 two-inch layers of polyiso on top of the roof deck (leaving the existing insulation in place). If I choose the latter, will I be trapping moisture with the kraft facing?

Asked by Frank Ball
Posted Jan 22, 2013 10:20 PM ET
Edited Jan 23, 2013 3:56 PM ET

1.

Frank,
Your proposal to install 4 inches of polyisocyanurate on top of your roof sheathing will work in climate zone 6 or anywhere warmer.

In colder climates (climate zones 7 and 8), the rigid foam needs to be thicker, in order to keep the temperature of the roof sheathing above the dew point during the winter.

The kraft facing on the fiberglass batts is optional. It won't do much to help your roof assembly, nor will its presence cause any problems.

For more information, see How to Build an Insulated Cathedral Ceiling

Posted Jan 23, 2013 7:38 AM ET

Toughest vapor barrier for floor of crawl space?

In General questions | Asked by Debra | Sep 20, 17

Am I asking for trouble?

In Energy efficiency and durability | Asked by Jerry Liebler | Sep 21, 17

Taping OSB sheathing to ICF foam

In Energy efficiency and durability | Asked by Brett Greenburg | Sep 20, 17

Pros - How Would YOU Build?

In Energy efficiency and durability | Asked by Lance Peters | Sep 18, 17

Insulating basement foundation

In General questions | Asked by BobTheWeekendWarrior | Sep 19, 17