How can I fix a poorly ventilated cathedral ceiling insulated with kraft-faced insulation?

I am in the planning stages of renovating a home that has cathedral ceilings with 2 x 8 rafters and R-19 kraft-faced insulation. Ventilation is poor at best. There is frost on the underside of the roof sheathing.

I would like to turn it into a hot roof by sealing up any vents and either replacing the the insulation with closed-cell foam or adding 2 two-inch layers of polyiso on top of the roof deck (leaving the existing insulation in place). If I choose the latter, will I be trapping moisture with the kraft facing?

Asked by Frank Ball
Posted Jan 22, 2013 10:20 PM ET
Edited Jan 23, 2013 3:56 PM ET

1.

Frank,
Your proposal to install 4 inches of polyisocyanurate on top of your roof sheathing will work in climate zone 6 or anywhere warmer.

In colder climates (climate zones 7 and 8), the rigid foam needs to be thicker, in order to keep the temperature of the roof sheathing above the dew point during the winter.

The kraft facing on the fiberglass batts is optional. It won't do much to help your roof assembly, nor will its presence cause any problems.

For more information, see How to Build an Insulated Cathedral Ceiling

Posted Jan 23, 2013 7:38 AM ET

Understanding HRV Energy Use Calculations

In Energy efficiency and durability | Asked by Venkat Y | May 27, 17

How does someone cancel subscription when there seems to be no way out??

In General questions | Asked by James Someone | May 27, 17

Tapes for air sealing between concrete and foam or wood/OSB

In Green products and materials | Asked by William Costello | May 27, 17

Adding an addition after AirKrete and polyiso - now what?

In Green building techniques | Asked by J Heckmann | May 27, 17

How do I get Comcast through my envelope prior to blower door test?

In GBA Pro help | Asked by David McNeely | May 27, 17