Helpful? 0

Applying housewrap

I didn't read all of your questions/answers but after reading quite a few, I didn't see where there was a mention of a right and wrong side to housewrap. I would think to ensure that a product would perform to it's highest standard, ensuring there would be proper escape of moisture through the product,this innovation would have a right and wrong side; correct, or does it matter? In other words, apply the housewrap to walls with the print facing out.

Charline

Asked by Charline Bridgeman
Posted Thu, 01/24/2013 - 15:56
Edited Thu, 01/24/2013 - 16:06

Tags:

2 Answers

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.
Helpful? 0

Charline,
Plastic housewrap allows water vapor to pass through it in both directions. It is bi-directional, not uni-directional.

It's possible, however, that some housewrap manufacturers might include some type of coating to protect the housewrap from UV exposure. Certainly most builders install housewrap with the printing facing the exterior.

Answered by Martin Holladay, GBA Advisor
Posted Thu, 01/24/2013 - 16:02

Helpful? 0

Charline,
At least one document from DuPont Tyvek advises, "The roll material is applied over exterior sheathing material (with the printed side out) so that it forms a continuous envelope around the entire building."

I don't know why, but DuPont clearly likes the advertising value of their name on all those houses.

Here is the link: http://www2.dupont.com/Tyvek_Weatherization/en_US/assets/downloads/Comme...

Typar's instructions are similar: "Start at the bottom of one end of the wall with the printed side facing out."

Here's the link to the Typar document: http://typar.com/pdfs/Typar-Weather-System-Installation-Instruction.pdf

Answered by Martin Holladay, GBA Advisor
Posted Thu, 01/24/2013 - 16:08
Edited Thu, 01/24/2013 - 16:10.

Other Questions in Energy efficiency and durability

In Energy efficiency and durability | Asked by Noah Byler | Jul 23, 14
In Green building techniques | Asked by Kevin Hardy | Jul 26, 14
In Energy efficiency and durability | Asked by david chinn | Jul 27, 14
In General questions | Asked by Robert Shelton | Jul 25, 14
In GBA Pro help | Asked by mark godfrey | Jul 26, 14
Register for a free account and join the conversation

Get a free account and join the conversation!
Become a GBA PRO!