Applying housewrap

I didn't read all of your questions/answers but after reading quite a few, I didn't see where there was a mention of a right and wrong side to housewrap. I would think to ensure that a product would perform to it's highest standard, ensuring there would be proper escape of moisture through the product,this innovation would have a right and wrong side; correct, or does it matter? In other words, apply the housewrap to walls with the print facing out.

Charline

Asked by Charline Bridgeman
Posted Jan 24, 2013 3:56 PM ET
Edited Jan 24, 2013 4:06 PM ET

1.

Charline,
Plastic housewrap allows water vapor to pass through it in both directions. It is bi-directional, not uni-directional.

It's possible, however, that some housewrap manufacturers might include some type of coating to protect the housewrap from UV exposure. Certainly most builders install housewrap with the printing facing the exterior.

Posted Jan 24, 2013 4:02 PM ET

2.

Charline,
At least one document from DuPont Tyvek advises, "The roll material is applied over exterior sheathing material (with the printed side out) so that it forms a continuous envelope around the entire building."

I don't know why, but DuPont clearly likes the advertising value of their name on all those houses.

Here is the link: http://www2.dupont.com/Tyvek_Weatherization/en_US/assets/downloads/Comme...

Typar's instructions are similar: "Start at the bottom of one end of the wall with the printed side facing out."

Here's the link to the Typar document: http://typar.com/pdfs/Typar-Weather-System-Installation-Instruction.pdf

Posted Jan 24, 2013 4:08 PM ET
Edited Jan 24, 2013 4:10 PM ET.

Plywood sheathing over rigid foam.

In Plans Review | Asked by rg14 | Oct 18, 17

Can my outdoor minisplit unit benefit from a solar cover in harsh NY winters?

In General questions | Asked by PamNYWinters | Oct 14, 17

Smart Membrain with Mineral Wool

In Green products and materials | Asked by Nicholas C | Oct 18, 17

Are my minisplits modulating or short cycling?

In Mechanicals | Asked by Kjmass1 | Oct 4, 17

Low-ceilinged small bathroom in Zone 4, built in 1930: How to insulate?

In Energy efficiency and durability | Asked by Greenconfusion | Oct 18, 17