Applying housewrap

I didn't read all of your questions/answers but after reading quite a few, I didn't see where there was a mention of a right and wrong side to housewrap. I would think to ensure that a product would perform to it's highest standard, ensuring there would be proper escape of moisture through the product,this innovation would have a right and wrong side; correct, or does it matter? In other words, apply the housewrap to walls with the print facing out.

Charline

Asked by Charline Bridgeman
Edited Thu, 01/24/2013 - 16:06

1.

Charline,
Plastic housewrap allows water vapor to pass through it in both directions. It is bi-directional, not uni-directional.

It's possible, however, that some housewrap manufacturers might include some type of coating to protect the housewrap from UV exposure. Certainly most builders install housewrap with the printing facing the exterior.

2.

Charline,
At least one document from DuPont Tyvek advises, "The roll material is applied over exterior sheathing material (with the printed side out) so that it forms a continuous envelope around the entire building."

I don't know why, but DuPont clearly likes the advertising value of their name on all those houses.

Here is the link: http://www2.dupont.com/Tyvek_Weatherization/en_US/assets/downloads/Comme...

Typar's instructions are similar: "Start at the bottom of one end of the wall with the printed side facing out."

Here's the link to the Typar document: http://typar.com/pdfs/Typar-Weather-System-Installation-Instruction.pdf

Edited Thu, 01/24/2013 - 16:10.

Liability insurance - what would that cover?

In General questions | Asked by George G | Sep 12, 14

How do I fix the high air exchange in my straw-bale home?

In GBA Pro help | Asked by Eddy Wilbers | Sep 19, 14

Tyroc subfloor

In GBA Pro help | Asked by Brad D | Sep 21, 14

Help with basement design

In Green building techniques | Asked by leonid grossman | Sep 21, 14

Reading “new to old”

In General questions | Asked by aj builder, Upstate NY Zone 6a | Sep 20, 14