Applying housewrap

I didn't read all of your questions/answers but after reading quite a few, I didn't see where there was a mention of a right and wrong side to housewrap. I would think to ensure that a product would perform to it's highest standard, ensuring there would be proper escape of moisture through the product,this innovation would have a right and wrong side; correct, or does it matter? In other words, apply the housewrap to walls with the print facing out.

Charline

Asked by Charline Bridgeman
Posted Jan 24, 2013 2:56 PM ET
Edited Jan 24, 2013 3:06 PM ET

1.

Charline,
Plastic housewrap allows water vapor to pass through it in both directions. It is bi-directional, not uni-directional.

It's possible, however, that some housewrap manufacturers might include some type of coating to protect the housewrap from UV exposure. Certainly most builders install housewrap with the printing facing the exterior.

Posted Jan 24, 2013 3:02 PM ET

2.

Charline,
At least one document from DuPont Tyvek advises, "The roll material is applied over exterior sheathing material (with the printed side out) so that it forms a continuous envelope around the entire building."

I don't know why, but DuPont clearly likes the advertising value of their name on all those houses.

Here is the link: http://www2.dupont.com/Tyvek_Weatherization/en_US/assets/downloads/Comme...

Typar's instructions are similar: "Start at the bottom of one end of the wall with the printed side facing out."

Here's the link to the Typar document: http://typar.com/pdfs/Typar-Weather-System-Installation-Instruction.pdf

Posted Jan 24, 2013 3:08 PM ET
Edited Jan 24, 2013 3:10 PM ET.

Will I do more harm than good adding unfaced polyiso in my exterior walls.

In Energy efficiency and durability | Asked by Mike Shultz | Feb 12, 16

Off-label use for open cell Iso foam?

In Green products and materials | Asked by Leslie Divoll | Feb 12, 16

German flangeless window install and flashing details

In Green building techniques | Asked by Bob C | Feb 12, 16

Sealing and insulating hatchway to vented attic

In Green building techniques | Asked by David Martin | Feb 12, 16