GBA Logo horizontal Facebook LinkedIn Email Pinterest Twitter X Instagram YouTube Icon Navigation Search Icon Main Search Icon Video Play Icon Plus Icon Minus Icon Picture icon Hamburger Icon Close Icon Sorted

Community and Q&A

Destroying insulation vapor barriers

nhvry67 | Posted in Energy Efficiency and Durability on

Faced insulation is much much cheaper (and easier to find) than unfaced. My garage ha 1 inch of closed cell foam and the rest of the wall is to be filled in with conventional fiberglass as the foam is the vapor barrier.

Hence my initial statement statement. Can I use faced insulation and slash the kraft paper to desroy the vapor barrier because I know you do not want two barriers as moisture could be trapped between them.

Thanks

GBA Prime

Join the leading community of building science experts

Become a GBA Prime member and get instant access to the latest developments in green building, research, and reports from the field.

Replies

1. GBA Editor
    Martin Holladay | | #1

Gray,
    Fortunately, the kraft facing on fiberglass batts is a vapor retarder, not a vapor barrier. So even if you leave the kraft facing in place, it is unlikely to cause any problems.

However, if you want to remove the kraft facing, it isn't that hard. You can pull it off the batts and throw it away.

That said, friction-fit unfaced batts are usually sized slightly wider than kraft-faced batts, and are sometimes a little denser, so they stay in place better than kraft-faced batts with the kraft facing pulled off.

Community

Recent Questions and Replies

• |
  • |
  • |
  • |