Air Sealing - Tape, Sealant?

I am looking at the articles here about air sealing and most of them provide information such as where to seal but the products are not so easily determined. I am planning on taping either the OSB Seams before house wrap with 3M All Weather tape - or possibly only taping the house wrap seams. (as long as I get the right tape that doesn't allow problems with taped horizontal seams)

Asked By Nicholas C | Jul 29 15

Anybody familiar with British Columbia building codes?

I am building a home in BC, and plan to use Lunos e2 for my HRV. There is a lot of stuff about ventilation and HRV in the latest code revision (Dec 2014, I believe). Is there, by any chance, anybody out there familiar with the BC codes that can tell me if I am going to experience issues trying to use the Lunos fans?

A couple things that I am concerned about (off the top of my head).

Asked By Stephen Youngquist | Jul 29 15

General contractor and his responsibilites

Guys,

Building a house and now trying to dig myself out of the hole created by my general contractor.

The house is a custom 9600 square feet (9 ceilings basement/ground, 8' second floor with 3 trey ceilings), a covered patio (16' deep x 70" wide) with 5 car garage (1900 sq-ft with13' ceilings)

Asked By beenash khan | Jul 25 15

How to hire a tiling contractor?

The two local well known tile person are both tied up and can't work on our house since the builder didn't line them up when he should have.

I am in the process of interviewing the tile guys and was wondering what do I need to ask them to see if they know what they are doing?

secondly, also when I go look at their work, what am I suppose to be looking at?

Thirdly, any important tips that I need to know/ask the tile guy for laying down marble/Limestone tiles on the floor and regular tiles in the shower?

Asked By beenash khan | Jul 29 15

Eave vent detail

Hi GBA
Does anyone have a link to an eave/rake vent detail where:
cold climate
gable roof
metal roofing
cathedral ceiling
minimal overhang
board&batten siding
rain screen

I have colleagues citing anecdotal evidence saying with an airtight envelope, the need for balanced roof venting is not critical, i.e., continuous eave vent and no ridge vent is sufficient.

Thanks

Asked By Erik Olofsson | Jul 16 15

Question about insulating foundation Superior Walls

We are planning our new home in Illinois (border of Zone 4 and Zone 5). The entire exterior will be EIFS. The majority of the basement will be finished. The east wall of the basement will be a walkout, which we plan to have wood-framed. We plan to use the Xi Superior Insulation walls for our foundation, which adds 2.5" of Dow Styrofoam to the original Superior Walls for R-12.5. Here's a note from their website about the walls:

Asked By Kevin Hoene | Jul 28 15

Final countdown: Will 2 inches of rigid foam be worth it for me?

Hello all!

I have been asking questions and researching energy efficiency for the past two years. Finally I am getting around to building my own home and will be installing, or not installing, rigid foam in the next couple weeks!

My house build is financed mostly by a construction loan.

• I have calculated $2,380 in the cost of rigid foam
  • $160 in material to bump out window and door openings 2"
  • $80-$160 in Aluminum
  • $300-$500 for labor to get Aluminum fabricated for the bottom
  • $40 in cap nails
Asked By Nicholas C | Jul 28 15

How to bend straw bales? Are twine or wire bales better for this?

Right now, I'm planning a round structure in zone 5A (western NY state, rural, frequent rains).

Books keep telling us that "you can bend straw bales" to conform to round walls.
They don't mention any way to do this.

I tried just whomping them over a log, which seemed to deform a (wired) test bale, but not enough.

-Is there some standard method that straw bale builders can recommend?
-And which are better for bending? Twine or wire?

Our farmer/friend/supplier would like to know one we want, and I don't know.

Asked By Jon Kendrick | Jul 29 15

Outlet air sealing

Location: Chicago Suburbs, Zone 5
I have a question on low voltage wiring for new construction of a residential house.
The wiring would be for network (CAT), Control, Audio, CATV, etc….
I see that there are “open backed boxes/brackets” (Carlon), “closed boxes” (120V type), and “air-sealed” boxes (gasket).

I am conscious of air sealing (techniques) and will also be using a sprayed insulation solution in the exterior walls.

Asked By Ani Brown | Jul 29 15

Question on finishing brick-walled basement without exterior waterproofing

Some background info on the house:

It's a semi detached, about 100 years old, multi-wythe brick foundation, and it's in Toronto.
The basement windows are above grade.
The basement has a poured concrete floor.
The ground at the front (West) of the house never gets wet due to the front porch. Along the south there is an asphalt driveway which slopes decently - there are a couple of spots where the water ponds a few feet away and downslope from the walls. The remaining wall I can't see because it's covered by the back deck. Gutters and downsputs are good and drain away from the house.

Asked By Jon Haque | Jul 15 15