Q&A: A Forum for Green Building Experts and Beginners

Q & A Instructions

[Click map to enlarge]

The GBAGreenBuildingAdvisor.com web site has a wealth of articles on a wide variety of construction topics. Before posting your question, you may want to check out the articles on this page: How To Do Everything. You just might discover an article there that provides the information you seek.

Please register for a free account or sign in to ask and answer green building questions.

If you want to post a question, the usual rules of courtesy apply:
1. Be nice.
2. If you can't be nice, be polite.
3. If you can't be nice or polite — well, please be brief.

To attach a photo or illustration: Under the box labeled “More explanation,” look for the words “File attachments.” Click that, and you should be able to attach a photo.

Thanks for joining the conversation!

0 Answers

<strong><a href="http://www.replicarolexwatch.cn/rolex-new-2013-models-c-23.html">cheap replica watches</a></strong> <br> <strong><a href="http://www.replicarolexwatch.cn/rolex-new-2013-models-c-23.html">high quality replica watches</a></strong> <br>

[b][url=http://www.replicarolexwatch.cn/rolex-new-2013-models-c-23.html]cheap replica watches[/url][/b]
[b][url=http://www.replicarolexwatch.cn/rolex-new-2013-models-c-23.html]high quality replica watches[/url][/b]
sale Rolex Timeless Luxury Watches 20% off

Fake Replica Rolex GMT-Master II Watches

Asked By egiacherihayw ken | Feb 13 16
8 Answers

Raised-heel trusses can be annoying

We installed raised-heel trusses with bottom chord overhangs on our house. The top of the top chord is 20" above our top plate. According to the 2012 International Residential Code for seismic zones or zones designated for winds of 100 mph, raised heel trusses more than 15.25" have to be blocked and braced.

Asked By Jimmy Nguyen | Feb 6 16
0 Answers
2 Answers

Off-label use for open cell Iso foam?

GC is proposing to use Iso open cell foam as bulk fill in lieu of compacted gravel / sand fill over existing residential interior concrete slab on grade, to provide a base for a new interior concrete slab. Requirement is to bring a 15' X 19' X 12" deep "ashtray" up to level with surrounding floors and finish with tile to match adjacent. Application is strictly structural; insulation value is not a benefit. Existing recessed slab is 4" above base flood elevation including freeboard, existing plumbing drain pipes are below the existing slab.

Asked By Leslie Divoll | Feb 12 16
1 Answer

German flangeless window install and flashing details

I have an upcoming job with German tilt turn windows, they don't come with flanges like US windows typically do. My install plan is to screw through the frame (unless someone has a better idea) and once installed I am not that concerned about getting them air sealed. What I am trying to figure out is what is the best way to integrate them with the WRB and make sure they are not going to allow water into the home? Anybody know of a manufacturer who publishes good instructions for this? Maybe a German site that shows the materials and steps? This particular manufacturer does not.

Asked By Bob C | Feb 12 16
5 Answers

Can unvented roof assemblies be insulated with fiberglass if I use rigid foam on the exterior of the sheathing?

I have read the Aug 21st post titled "Can Unvented Roof Assemblies Be Insulated with Fiberglass? http://www.greenbuildingadvisor.com/articles/dept/musings/can-unvented-r... I think the answer is "Yes, but...". And here is the but: You need to add the appropriate thickness of rigid foam to the exterior side of the OSB sheathing. I've read so many different roof profile scenarios...I know I ought to be able to figure this out...but I have a few questions...I'm hoping to get some confirmation of my lessons learned as a rookie here on GBA.

Asked By Inger Peters | Feb 10 16
2 Answers

Sealing and insulating hatchway to vented attic

My attic is now insulated with 18" of cellulose. The builder left a hatchway from a closet in case we need to access the attic -- it will not be used for storage, just for access if something goes wrong. The builder suggested using a piece of plywood with a couple sheets of foam insulation on top to cover the hatchway.

Does that make sense? How can it be air sealed so that it is not a chimney sucking up warm air? Would weather stripping suffice?

Asked By David Martin | Feb 12 16
5 Answers

"Green Building" and current (2012) code

Has current code 'caught up' to the point where "green building" today revolves around code compliance, HVAC design and choice of "green" interior materials?

Has "green building" gone mainstream with regards to the building envelope?

Asked By Chris M | Feb 12 16
16 Answers

Proper crawl space encapsulation and also radon mitigation questions

Hello, I own a 1968 cape cod style home in East Stroudsburg in the Poconos, PA (region 5). It has a full basement with 7' ceilings and concrete floor with probably little to no crushed stone underneath. At some point, there was a ditch cut out along 2 of the walls, with stone and probably a perforated pipe added, and concrete poured back except for a small channel along the block wall. This leads to a sump pit.

Adjacent to one of these 2 walls is a crawl space entrance where an addition was put in.

Asked By Ryan O'Rourke | Jan 26 16
53 Answers

Best way to fix insulation problem in cathedral ceiling? Please help!

I built my chalet about 8 yrs ago and was up in the attic and noticed black water stains (probably mold).
after many days and night researching what was wrong, i believe my issue is insulation and air leakage.
i have called all the insulation and roofing businesses (not many in this area) and each says its the others issue.

this site has been the most informative, but i cant seem to find any article or videos on how to add or change insulation in a cathedral ceiling after construction has been done.

Asked By Aaron H | Jan 31 16
Register for a free account and join the conversation

Get a free account and join the conversation!
Become a GBA PRO!