GBA Logo horizontal Facebook LinkedIn Email Pinterest Twitter X Instagram YouTube Icon Navigation Search Icon Main Search Icon Video Play Icon Plus Icon Minus Icon Picture icon Hamburger Icon Close Icon Sorted

Community and Q&A

Do I need an attic fan for a unused attic?

remodelattic | Posted in Energy Efficiency and Durability on

I have an attic space on top of the two car garage which is insulated. There is no ventilation. I only use this space to store empty tv boxes and computer boxes just in case i have to return. this attic opens into a closet upstairs. The highest point is 4 feet. PLease help me with this.
thank you

GBA Prime

Join the leading community of building science experts

Become a GBA Prime member and get instant access to the latest developments in green building, research, and reports from the field.

Replies

1. GBA Editor
    Martin Holladay | | #1

Kamala,
    No, you don't need an attic fan. Nor do you need any ventilation openings. More information here: Fans in the Attic: Do They Help or Do They Hurt?

2. remodelattic | | #2

Can I put insulation and drywall the attic space then. I want this to be clean.

3. GBA Editor
    Martin Holladay | | #3

Kamala,
    If you want to convert your attic to a conditioned space, and you plan to insulate the sloped roof assembly, then you should follow the requirements for any insulated sloped roof. More information here: How to Build an Insulated Cathedral Ceiling.

Community

Recent Questions and Replies

• |
  • |
  • |
  • |