Building a house on piers

So if I am building a house on piers (zone 5) based on 2012 IECC, the ceiling has R-49, the floor has R-30 (or minimum 19), and the walls have R-20.

Am I missing something here? If heat seeks cold in any direction, would it not make sense to have the same level of insulation on all sides?

I have never really understood why, if a home is air sealed properly and tight, it is more beneficial to have R-49 in the ceiling and not the walls and floor. Or is this just based on a what's practical approach? Suppose I answered my own question.

Asked by terry grube
Edited Thu, 04/25/2013 - 05:38

1.

Right.

Answered by Dan Kolbert

2.

Terry,
As you guessed, it's easier and cheaper to add deep insulation to a ceiling than to a floor, and it's easier and cheaper to add deep insulation to a floor than to a wall. These facts influenced code requirements for minimum R-values.

Fortunately, you are free to exceed minimum R-value regulations.

In General questions | Asked by Jeff Watson | Mar 9, 14
In General questions | Asked by Dawn Roberts | Aug 30, 14
In General questions | Asked by eric michael | Aug 30, 14
In Energy efficiency and durability | Asked by Randy Mason | Aug 30, 14