GBA Logo horizontal Facebook LinkedIn Email Pinterest Twitter X Instagram YouTube Icon Navigation Search Icon Main Search Icon Video Play Icon Plus Icon Minus Icon Picture icon Hamburger Icon Close Icon Sorted

Community and Q&A

Insulation method

lgl22 | Posted in Energy Efficiency and Durability on

Hi,
I am building a new home and looking for the best way to insulate. I think the spray foam is the best but also the most expensive.

My builder is researching a new foundation water proof system called Enviro-Dri. Does anyone have any experience with that, or do you have another method you like better?

Thanks.

GBA Prime

Join the leading community of building science experts

Become a GBA Prime member and get instant access to the latest developments in green building, research, and reports from the field.

Replies

1. GBA Editor
    Martin Holladay | | #1

Lisa,
    If you have no idea which insulation materials to use, you'll need to start reading a few articles. I recommend that you begin in the GBA Encyclopedia:

Insulation Overview

Insulating Roofs, Walls, and Floors

Insulation Choices

Batt and Blanket Insulation

Blown-In or Loose-Fill Insulation

Rigid Foam Insulation

Spray Foam Insulation

Enviro-Dri is a water-resistive barrier (WRB). You can read about it here:

New Green Building Products

I am not familiar with the use of Enviro-Dri below grade on basement walls. (Tremco's standard basement product is called Tuff-N-Dri.) If I were you, I would contact the manufacturer (Tremco) to ask about the use of the product below grade. I don't find any information on the manufacturer's website describing below-grade use of the product.

Here is the contact information:

Tremco Barrier Solutions
    3735 Green Rd.
    Beachwood, OH 44122-8067
    800-562-2728
    216-292-5000
    http://www.guaranteeddrybasements.com

2. Expert Member
    Dana Dorsett | | #2

Somehow the notion that spray foam is a "green" product needs to be disabused. Foam has some real environmental foot print issues, and is best used judiciously if you care about the big picture rather than just raw thermal performance (which can always be had by other means in new construction.)

While there are many applications/location within the assembly where it's the appropriate material, it's the right product IN SPITE OF it's many environmental hits (not just the high global warming potential of some commonly used blowing agents.)

3. Sal_123 | | #3

Here is a very good video that can serve as an effective primer for basement insulation background knowledge.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kwn0Vjw_ji0

4. dankolbert | | #4

I'm with Dana. Spray foam in new construction suggests a failure of imagination and planning.

5. lgl22 | | #5

I wrote the second question wrong. She was looking at using the enviro dri all over the house not on the foundation. Instead of a tyvec type material

6. GBA Editor
    Martin Holladay | | #6

Lisa,
    In your latest post, you wrote, "She was looking at using the Enviro-Dri all over the house, not on the foundation. Instead of a Tyvek-type material."

Enviro-Dri is a water-resistive barrier, just like Tyvek. To read a review of the product, see this article: New Green Building Products.

You probably should also read these two articles:

Housewrap in a Can: Liquid-Applied WRBs

All About Water-Resistive Barriers

Community

Recent Questions and Replies

• |
  • |
  • |
  • |