GBA Logo horizontal Facebook LinkedIn Email Pinterest Twitter X Instagram YouTube Icon Navigation Search Icon Main Search Icon Video Play Icon Plus Icon Minus Icon Picture icon Hamburger Icon Close Icon Sorted

Community and Q&A

What kind of windows are better for Arizona hot summers?

Miriam_AZ | Posted in Energy Efficiency and Durability on

I’m looking to replace the windows in my house but, I’m not real sure what are the best options.
what are the best windows brand that will have a low U-factor and Solar Heat Gain.
Thank you for your help.

GBA Prime

Join the leading community of building science experts

Become a GBA Prime member and get instant access to the latest developments in green building, research, and reports from the field.

Replies

1. GBA Editor
    Martin Holladay | | #1

Miriam,
    You are in luck: in the U.S., it is easier to buy low-solar-heat-gain windows than high-solar-heat-gain windows.

There are a great many window manufacturers that offer low-SHGC windows. When comparing brands, ask what the SHGC is according to the NFRC rating method (that's the method used on the window stickers you see when you go window shopping). Some window sales people quote the "glazing-only" SHGC number, which can't be compared with the whole-window number required for the NFRC rating. Ignore "glazing-only" numbers when window shopping; just look at the NFRC labels (or request this information by phone).

For more information, see All About Glazing Options.

Community

Recent Questions and Replies

• |
  • |
  • |
  • |