GBA Logo horizontal Facebook LinkedIn Email Pinterest Twitter X Instagram YouTube Icon Navigation Search Icon Main Search Icon Video Play Icon Plus Icon Minus Icon Picture icon Hamburger Icon Close Icon Sorted

Community and Q&A

Insulation for walls

nickirosa | Posted in Energy Efficiency and Durability on

Hi, I have a very old barn-shaped house which is not well insulated. I did blow insulation into the attic, but I know I am losing heat from the slanted walls upstairs. Do you know of any insulated wall coverings which I could affix to these walls? What do you think of cork? Thank You.

GBA Prime

Join the leading community of building science experts

Become a GBA Prime member and get instant access to the latest developments in green building, research, and reports from the field.

Replies

1. GBA Editor
    Martin Holladay | | #1

Nicole,
    The best insulation materials are materials sold for insulation purposes. If you have uninsulated sloped roof assemblies, they can be insulated by a wide variety of materials, including spray foam and cellulose insulation. If you are unsure about how to insulate your sloped ceiling, you should probably consult an insulation contractor or home-performance contractor.

Attaching cork to your ceiling will do little good, unless you (a) address air leakage, and (b) make sure that your thermal envelope is continuous -- without gaps.

Cork can be used for insulation. More information here: Expanded Cork — The Greenest Insulation Material?

For more information on insulated sloped ceilings, see How to Build an Insulated Cathedral Ceiling

For more information on insulating homes with kneewalls, see Two ways to insulate attic kneewalls

Community

Recent Questions and Replies

• |
  • |
  • |
  • |