GBA Logo horizontal Facebook LinkedIn Email Pinterest Twitter Instagram YouTube Icon Navigation Search Icon Main Search Icon Video Play Icon Plus Icon Minus Icon Picture icon Hamburger Icon Close Icon Sorted

Community and Q&A

Martin, How about this option?

Tennesseebob | Posted in Energy Efficiency and Durability on

Thank you for the advice. What about just using it [double-bubble foil] at the ceiling level as this will give me an opportunity to better air seal the cathedral ceiling? Furring out the ceiling will give me an air space that should help radiate heat back into the envelope. Otherwise I will have a hard time air sealing from above, along with the fact that there’s a full width porch across the front that needs to be vented out the ridge.

GBA Prime

Join the leading community of building science experts

Become a GBA Prime member and get instant access to the latest developments in green building, research, and reports from the field.

Replies

1. GBA Editor
    Martin Holladay | | #1

[This question appears to be a continuation of a previous thread: "I have access to some inexpensive double-bubble foil insulation."]

Bob,
    Bubble wrap is a poor material for air sealing. If you want to air seal your ceiling, the best air barrier is gypsum drywall. Pay attention to sealing the penetrations and the intersection of the ceiling and the wall, and you'll be fine.

If you want to improve the R-value of your ceiling assembly and interrupt thermal bridging through the framing, I suggest that you use rigid foam (for example, polyisocyanurate), not bubble wrap.

Community

Recent Questions and Replies

• |
  • |
  • |
  • |