GBA Logo horizontal Facebook LinkedIn Email Pinterest Twitter Instagram YouTube Icon Navigation Search Icon Main Search Icon Video Play Icon Plus Icon Minus Icon Picture icon Hamburger Icon Close Icon Sorted

Community and Q&A

Bathroom vent fan with ERV/HRV in older house that isn’t the tightest.

user-1101118 | Posted in Energy Efficiency and Durability on

Performing a remodel/energy bolster on an older 700 sf house. I don’t want to go through the trouble of a whole house balance vent system. I am considering a bathroom fan w/ heat recovery, such as the Panasonic unit. My questions/concerns:
1_Climate zone 7 9000HDD. Will the core freeze? ERV’s I have installed on other projects cycle into recirc x minutes per hour to prevent this.
2_Will the panasonic unit effectively reduce moisture in the one bathroom given that it is an ERV?
3_Is there another brand besides panasonic, perhaps one that is an HRV with a drain line to get rid of the moisture?

GBA Prime

Join the leading community of building science experts

Become a GBA Prime member and get instant access to the latest developments in green building, research, and reports from the field.

Replies

1. GBA Editor
    Martin Holladay | | #1

Erik,
    The Panasonic ERV is not recommended for cold climates like yours. See the map in this document:
    ftp://ftp.panasonic.com/pub/Panasonic/business/building-products/ventilation-systems/pdf/install/FV-04VE1-E.pdf

What you need is a Panasonic exhaust fan.

2. mackstann | | #2

I've seen some small passive HRVs that could work (passive as in no built-in fan), but it's a very expensive solution when the fan is only running 1 or 2 hours per day. I suspect it would never pay for itself in energy savings. However, it might keep the bathroom warmer and more comfortable.

3. srivenkat | | #3

Martin,

Just curious. I am in zone "B" (East Central Illinois). If I installed this fan as a replacement for the exhaust fans in the bathrooms, could it freeze and refuse to even work as a simple exhaust fan?

I could all Panasonic, but I know all that I would hear is what's mentioned on the map you cited.

Thanks,

venkat

4. user-2310254 | | #4

The Panasonic ERV will NOT work in a moist environment. (Don't ask me how I know.) As soon as the control board get wet(ish), the safety fuse blows. This is a soldered in fuse, BTW. Also, Panasonic will not warranty the unit if installed in a wet area. (Again, don't ask me how I know.) ;-)

The Panasonic WhisperGreen bath fans with DC motors are very efficient, however.

Community

Recent Questions and Replies

• |
  • |
  • |
  • |