GBA Logo horizontal Facebook LinkedIn Email Pinterest Twitter X Instagram YouTube Icon Navigation Search Icon Main Search Icon Video Play Icon Plus Icon Minus Icon Picture icon Hamburger Icon Close Icon Sorted

Community and Q&A

Slab Happy Insect Barrier?

Kopper37 | Posted in Energy Efficiency and Durability on

I’m guessing that most of the regular readers on this forum are familiar with Joe Lstiburek’s article, “Slab Happy.” If not, you can check it out here:

http://www.buildingscience.com/documents/insights/bsi-059-slab-happy

Regarding the insulated stemwall design, he discusses the need for a capillary break and insect barrier over the foam at the slab edge:

“Now install a strip of waterproofing set in mastic that spans the rigid edge insulation and acts as both a capillary break and an insect barrier.”

Has anyone found a really good product or combination of products for this application? Something that will withstand the rigors of the construction cycle, still do the job afterwards?

Thanks

GBA Prime

Join the leading community of building science experts

Become a GBA Prime member and get instant access to the latest developments in green building, research, and reports from the field.

Replies

1. Kopper37 | | #1

Anyone out there building insulated stemwalls? I'm mostly concerned about the portion of the barrier attached to the slab---the portion that will be exposed.

I've included a copy of the Building Science illustration. See "Masticed Membrane Strip."

Community

Recent Questions and Replies

• |
  • |
  • |
  • |