GBA Logo horizontal Facebook LinkedIn Email Pinterest Twitter Instagram YouTube Icon Navigation Search Icon Main Search Icon Video Play Icon Plus Icon Minus Icon Picture icon Hamburger Icon Close Icon Sorted

Community and Q&A

Open-cell or closed-cell spray insulation in hot humid Bahamas roof?

caz999 | Posted in Energy Efficiency and Durability on

We will spray insulate the underside of the plywood roof deck with at least R-20 foam. The attic encloses the A/C unit and ducts. The roof is reflective white shingles on Ice/Water membrane. One local installer says I should use an Open Cell (Icynene brand) insulation another says Closed Cell.

I will leave the insulation exposed in the attic apace.

GBA Prime

Join the leading community of building science experts

Become a GBA Prime member and get instant access to the latest developments in green building, research, and reports from the field.

Replies

1. GBA Editor
    Martin Holladay | | #1

Cynthia,
    Either type of insulation will work. I would ask both installers how many inches (or centimeters) of insulation they plan to install. Open-cell foam has an R-value of about R-3.7 per inch, while closed-cell foam has an R-value of about R-6.0 or R-6.5 per inch. Choose the insulation with the highest R-value.

I don't know anything about building codes in the Bahamas, but in the U.S., exposed spray foam is considered a fire hazard. I would strongly suggest that you consider an application method that allows you to cover the cured foam with a layer of gypsum drywall.

Community

Recent Questions and Replies

• |
  • |
  • |
  • |