GBA Logo horizontal Facebook LinkedIn Email Pinterest Twitter X Instagram YouTube Icon Navigation Search Icon Main Search Icon Video Play Icon Plus Icon Minus Icon Picture icon Hamburger Icon Close Icon Sorted

Community and Q&A

I am putting on new siding and considering either Hardie Plank or LP Smartside and Trim

2104937168 | Posted in Energy Efficiency and Durability on

Which performs better,and which is better long term? And what kind of wrap goes under the siding chosen? Are Styrofoam sheets good performance compared to Tyvek or install both Styrofoam and Tyvek over it? Thank you very much,
Kind regards, Kay

GBA Prime

Join the leading community of building science experts

Become a GBA Prime member and get instant access to the latest developments in green building, research, and reports from the field.

Replies

1. GBA Editor
    Martin Holladay | | #1

Kay,
    Louisiana-Pacific's SmartSide siding is made from wood fibers and resin. It's a type of OSB. SmartSide was developed to replace Inner-Seal siding (also made from OSB), an LP product with a large number of failures that ended up in court.

I'm not aware of any complaints or failure reports for SmartSide.

When you ask about a wrap, I assume you are talking about a water-resistive barrier (WRB). There are a wide number of WRB products that work well. Here is more information: All About Water-Resistive Barriers.

Styrofoam is a brand name for a type of rigid foam insulation called extruded polystyrene (XPS). Most people install exterior rigid foam because of its insulating value, but in some cases it can also be used as a WRB. For more information, see:

How to Install Rigid Foam Sheathing and

Using Rigid Foam As a Water-Resistive Barrier.

Community

Recent Questions and Replies

• |
  • |
  • |
  • |