GBA Logo horizontal Facebook LinkedIn Email Pinterest Twitter Instagram YouTube Icon Navigation Search Icon Main Search Icon Video Play Icon Plus Icon Minus Icon Picture icon Hamburger Icon Close Icon Sorted

Community and Q&A

What is an appropriate sized minisplit head for a 27’x32′ basement with four 32″x12″ windows in zone 4A (Long Island, NY)?

carlosdanger | Posted in Energy Efficiency and Durability on

I will be insulating the top ~1.5 ft. that is above the foundation to R-15 but the cement block foundation walls will not be insulated until the basement is finished sometime in the future. For now, this area will only be used for laundry and storage but will be a play room in the future. I received a proposal for a 12000 btu unit but from what I’ve seen from online calculators, this may be too little. Any advise would be appreciated. Thank you.

GBA Prime

Join the leading community of building science experts

Become a GBA Prime member and get instant access to the latest developments in green building, research, and reports from the field.

Replies

1. GBA Editor
    Martin Holladay | | #1

Kevin,
    The usual way to size a heating system is to calculate the heating load using Manual J software or another heat-loss calculation method. Here are some articles to get you started:

How to Perform a Heat-Loss Calculation — Part 1

How to Perform a Heat-Loss Calculation — Part 2

Saving Energy With Manual J and Manual D

Community

Recent Questions and Replies

• |
  • |
  • |
  • |