GBA Logo horizontal Facebook LinkedIn Email Pinterest Twitter Instagram YouTube Icon Navigation Search Icon Main Search Icon Video Play Icon Plus Icon Minus Icon Picture icon Hamburger Icon Close Icon Sorted

Community and Q&A

What insulation can I add to my attic?

greg1258 | Posted in Energy Efficiency and Durability on

I currently have blown-in loose-fill fiberglass in my attic. Do I have to add the same product, or can I use cellulose?

GBA Prime

Join the leading community of building science experts

Become a GBA Prime member and get instant access to the latest developments in green building, research, and reports from the field.

Replies

1. GBA Editor
    Martin Holladay | | #1

Greg,
    Yes, you can add cellulose insulation on top of your existing loose-fill fiberglass. Not only can you -- you should.

Adding cellulose on top of loose-fill fiberglass insulation is the best way to overcome the inherent problems of loose-fill fiberglass (especially the degradation in thermal performance due to convective loops in fiberglass). A cellulose "cap" not only warms up the top of the fiberglass, cutting down on convective looping, it also reduces air leaks through the fiberglass.

2. Expert Member
    Dana Dorsett | | #2

It takes at least 3" of cellulose over-blow to "restore" the full R of the fiberglass layer. If you add 6" or more the weight of the cellulose will compress the fiberglass a bit, but that gives the fiberglass a higher R/inch (if a lower overall R of the fiberglass layer by itself.)

The overall performance will be a function of the total settled depth of the cellulose + fiberglass, which will average about R3.5 per inch over a wide range of temperature conditions (some manufacturers claim R3.7/inch, which it probably does in a lab-test blow), as long as there is at least 3" of cellulose over the fiberglass. Less than that would still yield some convective losses at the low-temp extremes.

Community

Recent Questions and Replies

• |
  • |
  • |
  • |