GBA Logo horizontal Facebook LinkedIn Email Pinterest Twitter X Instagram YouTube Icon Navigation Search Icon Main Search Icon Video Play Icon Plus Icon Minus Icon Picture icon Hamburger Icon Close Icon Sorted

Community and Q&A

Should the eaves on a unvented roof system be vented?

psardelli | Posted in Energy Efficiency and Durability on

I am building a house with closed cell foam sprayed in the rafters under the roof deck. This will put a vapor block at the soffit.
I am building a house with closed cell foam sprayed in the rafters under the roof deck. This will put a vapor block at the overhanging roof.
The roof overhang is two feet. Do you think the overhanging eaves should be vented? (The house is in Rhode Island (climate Zone 5-6)
Thanking you in advance,
Paul Sardelli

GBA Prime

Join the leading community of building science experts

Become a GBA Prime member and get instant access to the latest developments in green building, research, and reports from the field.

Replies

1. GBA Editor
    Martin Holladay | | #1

Paul,
    Q. "Do you think the overhanging eaves should be vented?"

A. There is no need to include soffit vents. If they are already there, there is no harm in leaving them.

2. psardelli | | #2

The house is under construction and there are no plans to vent the eaves. Without a venting, the eaves will become a row of 24" X 16" X 8" sealed boxes. Some say venting is not necessary but I am not so sure. What do you think?

3. GBA Editor
    Martin Holladay | | #3

Paul,
    My answer is unchanged. Venting is unnecessary.

4. psardelli | | #4

Thank you.

Community

Recent Questions and Replies

• |
  • |
  • |
  • |