GBA Logo horizontal Facebook LinkedIn Email Pinterest Twitter X Instagram YouTube Icon Navigation Search Icon Main Search Icon Video Play Icon Plus Icon Minus Icon Picture icon Hamburger Icon Close Icon Sorted

Community and Q&A

Obscure OSB air barrier questions

Cjb80 | Posted in Energy Efficiency and Durability on

In general, is an air barrier composed of 7/16″ OSB similarly effective as a 5/8″ OSB air barrier, assuming all installation details were the same for both?

I have seen people using caulk and without caulk when fastening OSB to structural lumber, I assume that the concept with the caulk is that they’re trying to seal the penetrations through the OSB?

Are the air leakage through holes created (and filled) a significant source of air leakage?

Thanks,

Chris

GBA Prime

Join the leading community of building science experts

Become a GBA Prime member and get instant access to the latest developments in green building, research, and reports from the field.

Replies

1. GBA Editor
    Martin Holladay | | #1

Chris,
    Both thicknesses of OSB perform equally well as air barriers.

The easiest way to create an air barrier with OSB is to tape the seams -- not use caulk.

You don't have to worry about air leaks at the fasteners (especially if you tape the seams).

Any penetrations (wires, pipes, etc.) need to be sealed with caulk, canned spray foam, or tape.

2. Cjb80 | | #2

Just to be clear, I meant caulking where the OSB is fastened to the structural lumber, not caulking at the seams. What is the purpose of caulking this area if the seams are taped/filled? (I saw this in the passive house video linked on the front page, and discussed elsewhere..)

Anyways, thanks for the feedback!

3. GBA Editor
    Martin Holladay | | #3

Chris,
    If you're planning to tape the seams between your wall sheathing panels, I don't think that you need to use caulk between the sheathing and the studs or plates. But some Passivhaus builders use caulk plus tape as kind of belt-and-suspenders approach. Needless to say, these projects often have high budgets.

Community

Recent Questions and Replies

• |
  • |
  • |
  • |