GBA Logo horizontal Facebook LinkedIn Email Pinterest Twitter Instagram YouTube Icon Navigation Search Icon Main Search Icon Video Play Icon Plus Icon Minus Icon Picture icon Hamburger Icon Close Icon Sorted

Community and Q&A

Insulating exposed rim joists

itsmyname | Posted in Energy Efficiency and Durability on

We are building a home in Maine where the basement won’t be finished for some time. Besides loose fill insulation, what can I use on the rim joists that is fire resistant when left exposed.

GBA Prime

Join the leading community of building science experts

Become a GBA Prime member and get instant access to the latest developments in green building, research, and reports from the field.

Replies

1. GBA Editor
    Martin Holladay | | #1

Tom,
    Thermax is a brand of rigid foam insulation (it's a brand of polyisocyanurate) that has a facing that has passed fire safety tests. Most local building inspectors allow Thermax to remain exposed in basements and rim-joist areas.

I'm not sure what you mean by "loose fill insulation," but fiberglass batts are a bad choice for rim-joist insulation, especially in Maine, because fiberglass is air-permeable. For more information, see Insulating rim joists.

2. itsmyname | | #2

Any product that can be applied as a spray, so that it can cover pipes and wires? How about cellulose?

3. GBA Editor
    Martin Holladay | | #3

Tom,
    Cellulose insulation is air-permeable, so it is not recommended at this location -- especially in a cold climate like you have in Maine.

If you read the article I suggested (Insulating Rim Joists), you'll discover that the answer to your question is "Yes, there is an insulation that can be installed as a spray": closed-cell spray foam.

You can buy two-component spray foam kits at a lumberyard. Here is a link to an article describing the work: Basement Insulation — Part 2.

4. itsmyname | | #4

Okay, but now I'm back to the original problem of having to cover the spray foam because of its flammability.

Maybe a commercial product that is applied over the foam exists? Exposed steel frame buildings come to mind. Surely they have similar insulating issues.

5. GBA Editor
    Martin Holladay | | #5

Tom,
    As with your previous question, the answer can be found in the article I linked to. I suggest that you read the article. Here, once again, is the link: Insulating Rim Joists.

The article notes, "As long as your cured spray foam is no thicker than 3 1⁄4 inch, the International Residential Code (IRC) allows spray foam at the rim-joist area to be left exposed, without any protective drywall. The relevant provisions can be found in section R314.5.11 of the 2006 IRC and in section R316.5.11 of the 2009 IRC."

6. itsmyname | | #6

We need to do more with our kids on reading comprehension. I did miss that note on the 3 1/4" max thickness in the article. Thanks for your patience.

7. GBA Editor
    Martin Holladay | | #7

Tom,
    Don't worry -- such lapses happen to all of us. Glad to help -- and good luck with your rim joists.

8. Expert Member
    Dana Dorsett | | #8

With as little as a flash-inch of closed cell foam you can use R15 rock wool batts on the interior side as a thermal barrier, with effectively zero risk of damaging condensation in any ME location, even without an interior side air barrier. During the cool temperature extremes there may be a modest amount of condensing haze on the foam/fiber interface, bit it won't wick toward the wood, and will dry quickly when conditions warm. Without the flash-foam there would be at least some risk, though before the house is occupied that risk is pretty low.

At 2" of foam (or foam thicker than the 3-1/4"), with R15 rock wool you wouldn't need an interior air barrier to prevent even the occasional condensation haze events, and it would still be a code-compliant thermal barrier for the foam.

9. pjmeg | | #9

Martin,
    I see that your article mentions that the code views spray foam different from rigid foam. If I were to use spray foam to seal the gaps around pieces of 4" thick rigid foam in the rim joist area, and then spray an additional 1" over the rigid foam, does the code now view it as all spray foam?
    If so, would mineral wool qualify as a "thermal barrier"?
    Thank you very much.

10. itsmyname | | #10

If I may, to Dana's detail: Getting the foam to cover the pipes and wiring reduces some of the difficulty of insulating with batts but the irregularities of the foam then create a new challenge of closing the air gap between the two insulations. That is, air gap for effective R not air gap causing condensation issue.

11. GBA Editor
    Martin Holladay | | #11

Pete,
    I hesitate to make a code interpretation; I suggest that you talk to your local building inspector to determine what is acceptable in your local jurisdiction.

12. pjmeg | | #12

Dana and I must have been working on our posts at the same time. I believe Dana's comments may have answered my questions re: use of mineral wool as a thermal barrier. Thank you.

Community

Recent Questions and Replies

• |
  • |
  • |
  • |