Best recessed lights for insulated ceiling?

I recently moved into a 1 story ranch home. There are preexisting 6" recessed lights in the kitchen and bath (8 total) that I would like to replace with airtight lights. I also like the look of the lights and would like to add more throughout the house. There seems to be a ton of housings and trims out there. Which are the best for your buck? Also, if I have the patience and time, can I just buy the cheapo non IC or airtight lights and build enclosures for each light?

Asked by GEORGE HICKS

1.

George,
Your plan to add more recessed can lights to your ceiling is exactly backwards. Most people interested in energy efficiency or green building are going to opposite direction: trying to figure out the best way to remove their recessed can lights and replace them with surface-mounted fixtures.

Recessed can lights leak tremendous amounts of air, and they undermine the thermal performance of your ceiling insulation. I strongly advise homeowners and builders to avoid recessed can lights.

For more information, see Recessed Can Lights.

In Plans Review | Asked by Karl Overn | Apr 20, 14
In PassivHaus | Asked by erik olofsson | Apr 20, 14
In Energy efficiency and durability | Asked by Bill Daugherty | Apr 20, 14
In Energy efficiency and durability | Asked by Troy Tvedt | Apr 17, 14
In Energy efficiency and durability | Asked by maggie wilbur | Apr 19, 14