Helpful? 0

Best recessed lights for insulated ceiling?

I recently moved into a 1 story ranch home. There are preexisting 6" recessed lights in the kitchen and bath (8 total) that I would like to replace with airtight lights. I also like the look of the lights and would like to add more throughout the house. There seems to be a ton of housings and trims out there. Which are the best for your buck? Also, if I have the patience and time, can I just buy the cheapo non IC or airtight lights and build enclosures for each light?

Asked by GEORGE HICKS
Posted Sat, 12/28/2013 - 17:10

Tags:

1 Answer

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.
Helpful? 0

George,
Your plan to add more recessed can lights to your ceiling is exactly backwards. Most people interested in energy efficiency or green building are going to opposite direction: trying to figure out the best way to remove their recessed can lights and replace them with surface-mounted fixtures.

Recessed can lights leak tremendous amounts of air, and they undermine the thermal performance of your ceiling insulation. I strongly advise homeowners and builders to avoid recessed can lights.

For more information, see Recessed Can Lights.

Answered by Martin Holladay, GBA Advisor
Posted Sun, 12/29/2013 - 07:22

Other Questions in Energy efficiency and durability

In Plans Review | Asked by Karl Overn | Apr 20, 14
In PassivHaus | Asked by erik olofsson | Apr 20, 14
In Energy efficiency and durability | Asked by Bill Daugherty | Apr 20, 14
In Energy efficiency and durability | Asked by Troy Tvedt | Apr 17, 14
In Energy efficiency and durability | Asked by maggie wilbur | Apr 19, 14
Register for a free account and join the conversation

Get a free account and join the conversation!
Become a GBA PRO!