GBA Logo horizontal Facebook LinkedIn Email Pinterest Twitter X Instagram YouTube Icon Navigation Search Icon Main Search Icon Video Play Icon Plus Icon Minus Icon Picture icon Hamburger Icon Close Icon Sorted

Community and Q&A

Air sealing did not improve blower door test results. Why?

halaby | Posted in Energy Efficiency and Durability on

I recently air sealed and insulated my house as follows:

1) air sealed 40 recessed cans;
2) air sealed all major attic penetrations;
3) spray foamed all my basement and crawlspace sills;
4) topped up all the attic insulation to 50R

The blower door test results were the same on post-test and pre-test. How does that happen?

Alternative retest methods did not change this outcome — no improvement detected. The energy auditor could not explain it.

GBA Prime

Join the leading community of building science experts

Become a GBA Prime member and get instant access to the latest developments in green building, research, and reports from the field.

Replies

1. GBA Editor
    Martin Holladay | | #1

Charles,
    Here are some possible explanations:

1. The blower door tests weren't performed correctly, and their results are inaccurate.

2. Your air-sealing efforts were sloppy.

3. Your air-sealing efforts were excellent, but there is a monstrous hole in your thermal envelope that you have not yet located.

2. user-1115477 | | #2

Charles,

First, your # 4 doesn't necessarily help with air sealing.
    Also, similar to what Martin said with his #3: It sounds like your leakage is in places different from those you sealed. As surely you know, there are many other places for infiltration than those you mentioned.

3. davidmeiland | | #3

There is no substitute for blower door-guided air sealing. You run the fan the whole time, either pressurizing or depressurizing, find the leaks, seal them, and confirm as you go that the manometer shows a reduction. I have done pre and posts tests for crews that did not do this, and they often don't get much improvement. For that matter, I don't do much without the fan running myself.

Community

Recent Questions and Replies

• |
  • |
  • |
  • |