GBA Logo horizontal Facebook LinkedIn Email Pinterest Twitter X Instagram YouTube Icon Navigation Search Icon Main Search Icon Video Play Icon Plus Icon Minus Icon Picture icon Hamburger Icon Close Icon Sorted

Community and Q&A

Air Tight

rumpelstilkskin | Posted in Energy Efficiency and Durability on

I know the answer to my question has probably been asked before but I cannot seem to find it on hear. Anyways a 2×6 wall. Plywood on both sides, sealed cavity. I plan to seal the inner wall with gaskets from Conservation Tec. Do I need to seal the outside sheeting, by that I mean do I need gaskets under the sheeting hear as well or just the inside.

Paul

GBA Prime

Join the leading community of building science experts

Become a GBA Prime member and get instant access to the latest developments in green building, research, and reports from the field.

Replies

1. GBA Editor
    Martin Holladay | | #1

Paul,
    First of all, you may want to read an article that addresses your question: One Air Barrier or Two?

Second, you might be interested to know that many builders have concluded that it's easier to tape plywood seams than it is to install gaskets between plywood sheathing and the studs. For more information on taping plywood seams, you might want to read these two articles:

Airtight Wall and Roof Sheathing

Return to the Backyard Tape Test

2. bollicks | | #2

Martin
    Yes i had planned on taping seams as well. Guess gaskets might be a bit of an over kill.
    Thanks
    Paul

Community

Recent Questions and Replies

• |
  • |
  • |
  • |