Would IGU windows using laminated glass be the preferred choice to eliminate UV?

I am considering the use of an Insulating Glass unit (IGU) using laminated glass. I assume the laminated glass will be on the interior side. I live in Seattle so air conditioning is needed only 3 months/year. I want low U-factor and high light transmittance (70% is ideal). Also want to kill UV as much as possible. Laminated glass will kill 99% of the UV while some LoE coatings can give 95% but reduces the transmittance to 66%.

Here is a possible configuration using Cardinal Glass:
a) Outboad lite is 3mm glass with LoE270 on surface #2 (and perhaps LoE-x89 on surface #1)

Asked By Mike Chapman | Jun 28 16

Best practice for extending out a wall

Hi GBA,

I have a 2nd floor gable end wall which is constructed of (from outside) brick, air gap, block, air gap, 3/4" plaster/blueboard. There is no framing/insulation in the wall. We are converting an existing closet to an opening and to part of the above wall will be furred out with 2x4's. I would like to insulate it while we are in there but as always don't want to create issues.

Asked By G S | Jun 29 16

Zone 1 home addition — Dual-zone HVAC strategy?

I'm building a 1,700 sq. foot single story addition to my home in Houston, TX. 1,000 sq foot are a woodworking shop, 700 sq feet are living space. Living space is multi-room, think small apartment (kitchen/den, bedroom, bathroom, closet). Shop is one big room with a separate mechanical room. My current HVAC system won't handle the 700 sq feet of living space, which is also on the opposite side of the shop (maybe 100' from the current hot-attic system).

Current house is traditional stick frame, brick veneer with batt insulation and blown-in in attic. Gas available for heat.

Asked By Mark McFarlane | Jun 27 16

When is the 'Right' Time to engage a professional (Architect, Consultant, ..)

When is the 'Right' Time to engage a professional ... ?

I'm an aspiring first time contractor of a yet to be designed home on the coast somewhere. I won't be the builder but perhaps I can be actively involved as the General Contractor. I've read much of the material here and at other helpful sites. I've amassed interesting floor plans and designs but I don't have the in-depth knowledge of many experienced people here.

Asked By JIm Sutton | Jun 29 16

So, when is the right time to seek and engage an Architect, builder, or designer? And, in which order?

Asked By JIm Sutton | Jun 29 16

Seeking insulation recommendations

I work with Habitat for Humanity in upstate SC (zone 3 - warm-humid), and we are researching practices to improve the energy efficiency of the houses we build.

We have been insulating the attic ceiling with blown-in fiberglass but are leaning towards insulating the whole building envelope now (cathedral ceilings and sealed crawlspaces).

First, is it cost-effective to put the HVAC unit and ductwork in the conditioned attic rather than the crawlspace?

Second, what type of insulation should we use in the roof?

Asked By Dylan Hillman | Jun 23 16

Eastern Canada 'pretty good house' Insulation strategies

I've read so many articles my head is spinning. I'm building in New Brunswick Canada which appears to be equivalent to your climate zone 7. I'm endeavouring to build a pretty good house meaning efficiency to the point of diminishing returns aka maximum value. One of the major challenges I have here is reconciling good building practices I'm reading about here with the capabilities of local contractors. With that said, I have a few questions.

Asked By Barry Reicker | Jun 14 16

5-inch EPS foam

Hello, I am looking to build a 24x30x10 pole barn to use as a shop/ extra garage. I am not planning to use concrete on the flooring just yet because of the cost. Eventually I would like to pour a slab though. I am researching insulation and think I will use a radiant barrier for the roof to under the metal sheets to reflect the roof heat. Actually the siding is metal as well. I was also given (84) used but in great condition 4x8 sheets of 5" eps foam. I am trying to figure the best way to go about it all. Any would be grateful for any suggestions.

Jeramia

Asked By Jeramia Johnson | Jun 29 16

Insulating the underside of a concrete deck

I have a 2-story garage project where the lower level is built with ICF walls...R-25....and PEX radiant heated floors with an R-10 underslab insulation but the ceiling consists of the metal concrete pans and +/- 8" of concrete and rebar. Assume that space above is unheated.....it might also get insulated and heated from time to time when the homeowner needs to do automotive work.....but in general it will be unheated.

Asked By Jonathan Scholl | Jun 27 16

Insulation opportunity: re-roofing a 1922 house

I've scoured the archives as best I can and despite lots of great information I've had trouble applying what I've learned to my specific project. Our house is a 1922 craftsman style home with a finished attic. There is currently no access to the unfinished edges or peak of the attic so we're hoping to upgrade our insulation situation while the roof is off.

The house has gable vents that access the unfinished corner edges and peak (4 per side of house).

Asked By Jeremy Cram | Jun 28 16