GBA Logo horizontal Facebook LinkedIn Email Pinterest Twitter X Instagram YouTube Icon Navigation Search Icon Main Search Icon Video Play Icon Plus Icon Minus Icon Picture icon Hamburger Icon Close Icon Sorted

Community and Q&A

Insulating a vaulted ceiling with limited room for insulation

Bchiari | Posted in Energy Efficiency and Durability on

I have an older house which has a vaulted ceiling. I am planning on re-insulating this ceiling from the inside. I have removed the existing ceiling and insulation. The roof is 2×6 rafters, so I have limited space within the bays for insulation. I am not opposed to adding foam board to the bottom of the rafters. I plan on putting pine v-groove tongue and groove boards up for the finish ceiling. I am looking for some recommendations on what products to use and how to best install them. I should also mention the house is in Vermont, climate zone 6, where the recommended minimum insulation is R49

GBA Prime

Join the leading community of building science experts

Become a GBA Prime member and get instant access to the latest developments in green building, research, and reports from the field.

Replies

1. GBA Editor
    Martin Holladay | | #1

Bill,
    This article should tell you everything that you need to know: How to Build an Insulated Cathedral Ceiling.

Community

Recent Questions and Replies

• |
  • |
  • |
  • |